New scoreboard brings old tech into modern era

This new scoreboard at Ron & Carol Cope Stadium was approved and will begin construction this spring and will be completed in the fall of 2028. Photo illustration by Jon Willis / Antelope Staff

willisj@lopers.unk.edu

The University of Nebraska at Kearney revealed its design for the new scoreboard that will be built at Ron & Carol Cope Stadium.

The new scoreboard features flippable scores for both home and away teams. In the middle, there is also a spot for whatever quarter or half the game is in. It might look like your ordinary flip scoreboard, but it is roughly 20 times the size.

“There has been a call for a new scoreboard for years now, and I think this scoreboard is one that will have fans excited for the upcoming season,” athletic director Bark Meower said in the opening scoreboard press conference. “Not only does it have a sleek design, but I think it will also have fans feeling nostalgic as they watch the score being flipped up and down.”

With the lack of advancement in flip scoreboard technology, time in the game will be kept on the field with the officials who will be in contact with the press box so the public address announcer who can announce the time at certain points in the game.

The athletic department also added that at the home opener for Loper football in 2028, Taylor Swift would be the celebrity guest flipper to flip the scoreboard during the game.

The UNK football team has practiced in the past with the regular sized flip scoreboard, and they are excited for the addition of the new and bigger flip scoreboard.

“This is the scoreboard we’ve been wanting and hoping for now and we’re just ecstatic that we’ll get to see those big numbers flip during our games now,” football coach Ron Reld said. “I am interested to see just how they are going to be able to flip those big cards with how big the scoreboard is set to be, but we couldn’t be more excited.”

You’ll have the chance to see the new scoreboard in action this fall with every home Loper soccer and football game. The construction of the scoreboard will begin April 1, 2024.

DISCLAIMER: This story is a part of our annual April Fools’ issue, this story is not real. Happy April Fools’ Day!