Mandatory attendance is a step in the right direction

Mandatory attendance will increase Loper crowds by 110%. Photo by Kosuke Yoshii / Antelope Staff

hammekea@lopers.unk.edu

Of all the times that Loper Athletics should have a full student section, it’s disappointing that they weren’t.

Times like last year when the Women’s basketball team went undefeated at home in lieu of the MIAA Championship, home football victories and a record setting volleyball match this fall that broke Division II attendance records. And those moments are just the tip of the iceberg for great sporting moments that didn’t have the student support that it deserved.

It didn’t have to be this way. But, when you’re on a suitcase campus that only cares about going home and going to Lincoln and watching the Huskers lose, a move such as mandatory attendance was going to happen.

I probably won’t be court marshaled by the guards that currently make sure that the Louie the Loper statue doesn’t disappear, or at least the Louie the Loper statue sans crown jewels on its underhang. Rather, students will probably now find out where I live, send hate mail, and egg my car. 

I think this mandatory student section attendance plan is a great idea.

Looking at other MIAA schools, student attendance is the norm. There’s always a solid student section at schools such as Northwest Missouri and Fort Hays State. Sure, they get incentives from the athletic department and other local businesses. But heck, even when they weren’t being incentivized, they were there. 

When UNK traveled to Maryville earlier in the season, they were met with signs such as “Go Back To neTRASHka”. For every game of the season, Northwest Missouri has some sort of witty sign. For Missouri Western, their sign was “Mo Worst”, a play on everyone in the conference referring to the Griffons as MoWest. Their sign for Fort Hays was that Fort Hays loves Carole Baskin. There’s also signs of celebrities, like Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift, Donald Trump, and Billie Eilish wearing the famous Bearcat Blazers. 

Then I go to the UNK game against Fort Hays on January 20. And my eyes did not deceive me, but I wish they were. The student section was invaded by Fort Hays State players. Here we are, outnumbered, in the rivalry game. I’ve heard stories from my uncle about the battles of old between Fort Hays and then-Kearney State. The stands were packed, the students were into it and the game was very entertaining. Now, only 2/3 of that previous statement is true. The students don’t care it seems.

Now, under the forced attendance, they must. Hopefully in a couple years, it won’t be required to attend the games because students actually want to attend. Plus, since I’ll be getting a diploma, I won’t be stuck with the decision, suckers!

And for those looking to egg my car: red Buick, Kansas tags, and I swear to God, I will track you down if you use Eggland’s Best to tag my car.

DISCLAIMER: This story is a part of our annual April Fools’ issue, this story is not real. Happy April Fools’ Day!