Power of the Herd: Antelope generate campus power

White-tailed antelopes are generating campus power for a new eco-friendly system. Graphic by Kelsey Nunnenkamp / Antelope Staff

robyl@lopers.unk.edu

In a surprising turn of events, UNK has announced an unconventional yet eco-friendly approach to powering its campus. With the new campaign slogan being “Power of the Herd,” UNK has revealed that over a hundred antelope have been discovered hidden beneath the campus, energetically running on hamster wheels to generate electricity.

The discovery came as a shock to many, as the campus had been experiencing a mysterious surge in energy efficiency in recent months. However, the true source of this power remained a closely guarded secret until a recent announcement.

University officials said the “Power of the Herd” campaign shows how we can use renewable energy from surprising places to help the environment. They picked antelope for their speed and strength and gave them special gear to connect to small generators.

“Our goal with this initiative is to showcase the creativity that can be applied to address energy challenges,” said Anne Teak, the lead researcher behind the project. “By tapping into the natural energy of these antelope, we not only reduce our carbon footprint but also inspire innovation in energy solutions.”

The antelope, previously kept hidden from public view, are now housed in a specially constructed facility beneath the campus, complete with ample space for exercise and rest. A team of veterinarians and animal behavior experts has been assigned to ensure the comfort of the animals.

“We take the well-being of our antelope collaborators very seriously,” said Brock Lee, the university’s resident veterinarian. “They receive regular check-ups, a balanced diet and plenty of activities to keep them healthy and happy.”

While the concept of using animals to generate power may raise ethical concerns, UNK officials emphasize that the welfare of the antelope is their top priority. Additionally, strict regulations and ethical guidelines help the treatment of the animals involved in the project.

In addition to providing a sustainable energy source, the “Power of the Herd” campaign has sparked enthusiasm among students and faculty alike. Many see it as a symbol of UNK’s commitment to innovation and our environment. 

“I think this change is going to move our university in the right direction,” said Kerry Oki, music education major.  “Although the concept is a little strange, we are going to improve our carbon footprint in the long run.”

As UNK continues to expand its renewable energy initiatives, the “Power of the Heard” campaign serves as a reminder of the importance of exploring solutions for our environmental challenges. With the antelope diligently powering the campus, UNK is paving the way for a greener, more sustainable future.

DISCLAIMER: This story is a part of our annual April Fools’ issue, this story is not real. Happy April Fools’ Day!