Louie suffers attack from spaying, neutering activists

Campus veterinarians treated Louie’s injuries following an attack by neuterists. Photo illustration by Kelsey Nunnenkamp / Antelope Staff

albersk@lopers.unk.edu

In an unsuspecting turn of events, the quiet and peaceful UNK campus was disrupted as a group of passionate spaying and neutering activists stormed campus this week.

Activists marched onto campus, armed with a hacksaw and a mission. The target of this mission was none other than our beloved mascot, Louie the Loper. The events that occurred have left the University community stunned and divided. 

“I can’t believe anyone would do this to our mascot,” said Nick Thompsom, UNK junior. “I have never seen anything happen like this on campus, and it seems like a sick joke.”

Within the last few years, UNK has created a green space in between residence halls and other campus buildings. At the head of the green space is a large bronze Louie the Loper statue balls and all. Students were filled with pride, as this loper was built anatomically correct. The statue has since been tampered with by spaying and neutering activists. 

The incident occurred Monday evening, as faculty had gone home for the day and students were asleep after a busy day of classes. Suddenly, the once peaceful nighttime atmosphere was disrupted by activists who were wearing all black and carrying hacksaws. The activists had strong beliefs which would fuel what they would do to poor Louie. The hacksaws were used to neuter Louie, an act done to raise awareness about the importance of spaying and neutering pets. 

The act of activism was intended to raise awareness but had the opposite effect on UNK faculty and students. The vandalism was not an act of awareness, but rather deceit in the eyes of many students. Many voiced their concerns over the extreme acts of the activists and the distress it has caused on campus. 

“The University fully supports this far-fetched initiative that supports responsible, loving pet ownership, but this act of “activism” was just wrong,” said UNK Chancellor Harold Styles.  “Louie the Loper is a symbol of our school spirit and pride, and to use Louie for these reasons is both disrespectful and unacceptable.”

Despite the backlash the activists were receiving, they stood by their beliefs of neutering, as they thought they were drawing attention to a good cause.

“We understand that our methods of activism seemed extreme in the eyes of students and faculty, but we stand by what we did and the message we are promoting,” said Tina Gomez, a spokesperson for the group. “Our goal with this demonstration was to start a conversation and to tell people that animals have feelings too.”

In the aftermath of the neutering, social media has been flooded with reactions and comments. The reactions were divided over the effectiveness of neutering Louie and the activists’ approach. While some students applauded the activists and their dedication to the cause, others thought the acts were extreme and disrespectful. 

As for Louie the loper, he was unfortunately harmed in the process, but UNK officials assured students they are on the hunt for Louie’s private parts. 

In the aftermath of the incident, UNK was left with confusion and wandering questions about the limits of activism. While the exhibition of neutering was aimed to shed light on an important issue, its execution was not what anyone was expecting. As campus works towards moving forward from this event, it is one that will be difficult to move on from. The vandalism of Louie the Loper will be etched in the memory of campus for years to come.

DISCLAIMER: This story is a part of our annual April Fools’ issue, this story is not real. Happy April Fools’ Day!