Lopes for Hope reduces student stress with mug painting

Photo by Traeton Harimon / Antelope Staff

dailya@lopers.unk.edu

Lopes for Hope finished February with a relaxing event for students. Students could paint mugs, drink hot cocoa and relax while talking to their peers.

Lopes for Hope does monthly events, and this event gives students the chance to be creative with their mugs. 

“This event we decided to do because we wanted a stress-free activity,” said Kyra Kruse, UNK freshman and member of Lopes for Hope. “We know that people are kind of done with school already with spring break coming up.” 

Lopes for Hope is a student-run organization that helps students with mental health and gives them a voice and place to talk and feel safe.

“It spawned from Mckenna’s Rae of Hope,” said Todd Schirmer, adviser for UNK Lopes for Hope. “This organization serves as a way for students to get the help they need and be around people who either know what they’re going through or are there to help them be a better version of themselves.”

The event gave students a chance to learn more about mental health while also giving them time to relax and create something.

“We want to teach students self-care techniques,” Schirmer said. “When anxiety is running wild or when you are feeling down, do something you enjoy and that engages your mind. Something artistic or something that takes your mind off your troubles and that helps reset the brain a little bit and be able to move forward through your day.” 

Students were seen creating designs on mugs each with their unique designs. One student was designing their mug with stripes and a star while another showed off their art skills with a large flower and vines around the mug.  

“I heard about this event from a friend that goes to UNK and she messaged me and asked me if I wanted to go painting,” said Adia Hartman, a sophomore at Hastings College. “I enjoyed how all the sponsors were talking about why taking care of your mental health is important and listening to everyone talking about their different experiences. I enjoy arts and crafts, so it was a fun time.”

Students in need of mental health services can visit UNK Counseling in room 144 of the Memorial Student Affairs Building. Counseling offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and appointments can be made at 308-856-8248.