UNK unveils new brand campaign, slogan

Courtesy+Photo
Courtesy Photo

tisthammers@lopers.unk.edu

The UNK marketing team released its new brand campaign, “Power of the Herd”. A new slogan, logo and graphics are now available to the public.

Creative professionals focused on displaying positivity throughout the campaign.

“We know students are too often surrounded by negativity on social media and the news,” said Kyle Means, UNK director of marketing. “We wanted this campaign to be a light in the darkness for students. We’ve been working hard on it and I’m really excited for people to see and enjoy it.”

The previous slogan “Be Blue, Be Gold, Be Bold” was released in 2019. The marketing team tries to refresh the brand campaign every five years. Means said that the team worked on the new campaign and slogan for about a year before finalizing it. 

The campaign was first released to the public in a commercial that aired during the Super Bowl on Feb. 12. On Feb. 19, the marketing team released a video and news story that showcased the new logo, slogan and graphics. The team plans to release paid advertisements in the coming weeks as well.

Means said that the focus of the launch was to create content that people can connect with and enjoy. The color scheme of the new launch included lighter shades of blue and gold to resonate with positive messaging. The team chose to use a vintage antelope in the new logo, as the public preferred it over other antelope logo designs. 

Means said that the new slogan is meant to showcase the supportive qualities of the UNK community and its resources. It is centered around the idea of connectedness. More specifically, UNK students have their teachers, advisors, friends and family members with them every step of the way throughout their educational experience. 

Many UNK students are pleased with the new slogan and logo.

“I really like the antelope in the new logo,” said Grace Eckhardt, a junior majoring in agribusiness. “The new slogan makes me feel as if we’re all going through the educational experience together.”

Some students prefer the new campaign over the old one. 

“I like the new UNK slogan better than the old one,” said Halle Gleckler, a senior majoring in sports management. “I think it brings us together and forms a sense of community.”

Means said that the marketing team has received a lot of positive feedback about the new brand campaign so far. He also said that updating the brand content around campus will take many months, as there’s a lot of work to be done. Means hopes to have the project completed by the end of the summer months.