Taqueria San Judas puts a spin on classic Mexican dishes

Photo by Jenna Heinz / Antelope Staff

albersk@lopers.unk.edu

Kearney is known to have hidden gem restaurants, and I believe I stumbled across one. The gem is Taqueria San Judas, which is a Mexican food truck. The menu is full of traditional Mexican dishes, all for an affordable price.

I love to experience new things, and trying a new place is always exciting. I had heard of this delicious find from UNK students and wanted to give it a try. 

The truck is located on East 25th Street, which isn’t too far from campus. Upon arrival, I realized the truck had evolved into a little restaurant. The restaurant was full of colorful decorations, tables, a kitchen and a condiments bar. I walked in and was greeted with a delicious aroma of sizzling steak and pressed corn tortillas, which gave me much anticipation to order.

The menu consisted of many classic dishes such as tortas, burritos, tacos, tostadas, quesadillas and more.  UNK students have said the burrito is the item to order, but I wanted to try something new.

I ordered the asada tacos plate, which consisted of three tacos, rice and beans. The tacos were little corn tortillas stuffed full of asada. After ordering, I decided to load the tacos up with toppings from the condiments station. I chose chopped onions, cilantro, fresh lime and homemade salsa verde. 

I got my food and sat down at one of the booths ready to take a bite. Upon my first bite, I was greeted with a variety of flavors. The tender meat wrapped in a warm corn tortilla adorned with my chosen toppings was delicious. The asada was the component of the meal that stood out. It was the perfect combination of flavor with not too much spice. 

But the menu extended farther than Taqueria San Judas’ tasty tacos. The truck is also infamous for its ginormous burritos. The burritos are a hearty choice, generously stuffed with your choice of meat, rice and beans, as well as your choice of salsas. The carne asada burrito is a popular choice for UNK students. It is the perfect combination of flavors, especially with the addition of homemade salsas. For those seeking a hearty on-the-go meal I would highly recommend the burrito. If you would like a lighter fare, then the taco plate is a great option. 

No visit to Taqueria San Judas is complete without the addition of the homemade salsas. The salsa verde is my personal favorite; it’s spicy but not too spicy. When coming to Taqueria San Judas be sure to prepare your meal with one of the salsa choices. If you’re on the thirsty side, there is also an assortment of Mexican sodas or a crisp Coca-Cola. 

I believe Taqueria San Judas taco truck/restaurant is a hidden gem in Kearney. A simple but classic menu that gives the community options to a new world of cuisine. 

If I were to rate this restaurant on a scale of 1-10, I would rate it a 9/10, and recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting to try a new cuisine.