UNK’s Annual Student Organization Fair

Photo by Kosuke Yoshii / Antelope Staff

dailya@lopers.unk.edu

UNK started the new year off with a Student Organization Fair. Students come to interact with different clubs and organizations to see what UNK has to offer. 

This allows students to learn new skills, meet new people and find a community on campus. 

“It’s a great opportunity to go find what it may be that they’re looking to get involved in or conversely, meet new people and explore new interests as well,” said Ethan Ciancio, vice president of the UNK Student Senate. 

The event not only gives students the chance to meet new people but to find others that have the same passion for the things they love like making music or creating art.

“This event is very important for students as there are tons of students throughout campus that are always looking for ways to get involved, but they may not know the best way for them to get involved with this community,” Ciancio said.      

This year’s event, which is held every semester, brings in about 12 organizations including Loper Programming and Activities Council, the student government and more. 

The clubs or organizations can design their tables however they want. 

“Every organization is welcome to put in what time slot they want at the event or what day and they just bring some members forward and they go ahead and bring in whatever they’d like to show off,” Ciancio said. “There are no requirements for setup and it can be as simple as a piece of paper with your name on it.” 

The booths were set up in a way that allowed students passing by on their way to class or lunch to browse, talk to club members and enjoy themselves. 

Students like Juliet Eaton found the fair to be enjoyable and engaging. 

“I like the variety of tables because they all look different,” Eaton said. “It’s pretty fun to look at the tables and see what they are offering.” 

Students were seen browsing the tables and talking to representatives about their organizations.

One club that was represented at the fair was Prism, a club that was new to the student organization fair this year.

“I came to this organization to have a safe place to just be myself and express myself,” said Brenda Lara Romo, a UNK student and member of Prism.

This fair is a way for students to find out more about themselves by going out and participating in different organizations that interest them. 

“I want students to get whatever they’re looking for,” Ciancio said. “If it’s ambitious leadership opportunities, it’s going to be there. If you’re looking to meet new people, it’s going to be there. If you want to just step out of your comfort zone, just look at what is there, the opportunities available to you. It’s going to be there. So, whatever you may be looking for is only limited by your own ambition.”