UNK’s fourth annual MLK Day encourages students to give to their community

Students donate extra shirts to local shelters. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff

johnsonc293@lopers.unk.edu

UNK holds its fourth annual MLK Day of Service in the Nebraskan Student Union by doing a drop-in-service T-shirt drive.

This year MLK Day landed on Jan. 15 which was during UNK’s J-term classes. The majority of students were not on campus for the spring semester. But on Jan. 30, UNK hosted a T-shirt drive to benefit area shelters.

Luis Olivas, director of Intercultural Engagement and Leadership, helped organize this year’s drop-in-service project for MLK Day. 

“Even though the dates didn’t line up perfectly this year, we still think it is very important to recognize Martin Luther King Jr,” Olivas said.

MLK Day is meant to honor him and to encourage all Americans to improve their community and volunteer.

“I think that it is great that UNK was able to put on another annual event like this to honor Martin Luther King Jr.,” said Abby Hedstrom, a sophomore student at UNK. “He and his emotionally moving speeches were a very important part of history.”

This year was the fourth year that UNK put together a drop-in event that is quick and easy for students to give back to their community. 

“Since a lot of students have extra T-shirts from events or clubs, what better to collect all of those shirts and donate to the shelters here in town?” Olivas asked. 

By making it a drop-in event, it can attract more people due to the low commitment and small amount of time it takes to donate T-shirts. It doesn’t interfere with students’ busy schedules. 

“It is making a big difference to our local shelters,” Olivas said.