Underclassmen step up while Lopers battle injuries

willisj@lopers.unk.edu

Injuries are a part of sports, and for the Loper women’s basketball team, it’s something that they are trying to navigate in the middle of conference play.

Fifth year guard Trinity Law has dealt with a couple of different injuries. On Jan. 6 against Central Missouri, Law tore her PCL early in the game, which has been one of the toughest recoveries.

She knew as soon as it happened that this injury was serious.

“I tried to get back up, but felt like a pinching or catching, and then immediately knew that something’s not right,” Law said. “There’s nothing you can really do and you just have to sit and wait.”

A week later, the Lopers lost another starter, when graduate transfer Kia Wilson went down with a long term injury as well.

With this being a young team under a first year head coach, it has been an adjustment with more younger players getting some important playing time.

“A lot of us haven’t played on the floor together so we’re still trying to figure each other out and who is going to step up in those big moments,” Law said. “I think just as a team, being confident in ourselves to make that play, whether we’ve normally done it or not.”

One of the players who has stepped up in a big role for the Lopers as of late is junior Samantha Moore.

Since stepping into the starter role, Moore is averaging over seven points per game and about five rebounds per game. She scored a career high 16 points on Jan. 20 against Fort Hays.

“We’re trying different things on the court with different speeds and such, and hopefully they will get back sooner than later,” Moore said.

After not starting a game the first couple of years with the program, Moore has now started seven straight games, with her first start coming Jan. 11 against Pittsburg State.

“I’m just so grateful that my coaches believe in me and my teammates believe in me,” Moore said. “Whatever they need from me, whether it’s a rebound, whether it’s diving on the ground to get a ball, whether it’s getting a bucket, I will do it to 100% of my ability.”

Visit The Antelope YouTube page for more content.