Soccer dominates in first MIAA win since 2021

UCO’s Stormie Ramsey challenges UNK’s Corynne Olsen near midfield during Friday’s match at Foster Field. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff

berglunds@lopers.unk.edu

Loper soccer picked up their first conference win since 2021 with a 4-0 victory over Newman on Sunday.

This is the first time UNK has scored four goals in a game since 2015, and the fifth time in school history.

“You can’t ask for a better all-around game, two set goals, two live plays, and all of them were as a team, it wasn’t anything individual,” said coach Rob Breton. “From top to bottom, we controlled the game. We set the tempo, we didn’t let them get anything easy. When they got chances, we made them work for anything. I couldn’t be happier about this team.”

UNK hasn’t won more than two games in a season since 2018 with five wins. 

Junior Katie Pagel made the first goal for the Lopers at the 14:20 mark, with the assist from Raegan Downham. 

Just over seven minutes later, junior Ivana Siles scored the second goal for UNK.

The beginning of the second half was spent on the Lopers end of the field where Newman had two corner kicks and a shot on goal, but the Loper defense didn’t allow a goal.

Fourteen minutes into the second half, Davis made the third goal off a deflected shot from senior Aspen Brandich. Giving Davis her fourth career goal as a Loper.

“I want to close out my college career in a positive way and get the best outcome for the program,” Davis said. “So obviously, it felt good to be able to contribute to our win and build more memories of scoring goals and winning with my team. It is my last year here, so it means a lot.”

Davis then had an assist to Downes’ goal in the 87th minute, making it 4-0.

The Lopers had 15 shots with 10 on goal in their first conference win since 2021. 

“For me it’s finally them getting that win at home,” Breton said. “It’s finally getting to see that the work we’ve been doing for 18 months actually means something.”

Friday’s game against Central Oklahoma, the Lopers lost 2-0.

The Lopers will now be on the road for two straight weekends. This weekend they’ll travel to Oklahoma to take on Rogers State and Northeastern State. Then the following weekend, they’ll travel to Missouri to take on Central Missouri and Missouri Southern.