English professors set to share at Reynolds Visiting Writers Series

ostdiekr@lopers.unk.edu

UNK will be hosting the Reynolds Visiting Writers Series on Oct. 5. This series is a creative writing reading, where fiction or poetry writers from around the country come to Kearney to share their work with students, and sometimes even help students with their own creative writing.

For the upcoming series, the visiting writers didn’t have to travel too far – just across campus in fact.

“This is the first time that we’ve had an in-house writers series which is very exciting,” said Brad Aaron Modlin, Reynolds Endowed Chair of Creative Writing and English associate professor.

Three professors in the English department, Brad Aaron Modlin, Theodora Ziolkowski and Jan Thompson, will be sharing their creative writing.

“Attending readings like the ones hosted through this series inspired me in my own writing pursuits as an undergrad,” Ziolkowski said. “I don’t doubt that audience members will leave the readings in the Reynolds series inspired and eager to put their own pens to the page.”

Modlin’s role as the Reynolds Endowed Chair of Creative Writing coordinates the series and brings the visiting writers to campus. Now he will experience the other side, sharing his poetry with his very own students.

“In my class, I’m always emphasizing to say as much as you possibly can in as few words as possible, that’s one of my preferences,” Modlin said. “Hopefully, my students will hear that in my work and hear the other professor’s strengths.”

Making connections between what the professors emphasize in class and how they write is a unique ability that only the in-house series will offer. However, this will also be beneficial for students interested in creative writing or English classes who don’t know where to start.

“Attending the writing series not only supports our faculty and their work, but it also gives an insight to the talent our professors have in their craft,” said Coleman Riggins, UNK senior in the English department. “Especially if you aren’t familiar with them as I am, it’s a great way to get insight into this department.”

In addition to the public reading on campus, Modlin implements writing activities and challenges that are inspired by insight from the Reynolds visiting writers.

“We dedicated this past January term to a writing blitz, following a model of one of our visiting writers who does something similar,” Modlin said. “About 20 total faculty and students participated, and for several weeks, we tried to write as much as we could.”

Modlin also coordinated a poetry book-a-day challenge last year, where students and faculty would check out a book and share their thoughts for seven straight days.

Aside from the upcoming event, three more visiting writers have been lined up for this academic year.

Charles Frazier, author of “Cold Mountain,” will be attending on Zoom in November. In February, Kwame Dawes will be traveling from UNL to share his recent poetry book titled “Nebraska.” Olivia Claire Friedman will be sharing her fiction book “Here Lies” in April.

Students interested in the Reynolds Visiting Writers Series can attend the next reading on at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 5 in the Discovery Hall Atrium.