No Lonely Loper event provides coffee, motivation to students

Brewed Awakening partnered with No Lonely Loper again this year to offer free coffee. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff

trottere2@lopers.unk.edu

On Sept. 20, the Peer Health Educators organization hosted its second annual “No Lonely Loper,” a suicide prevention event at Brewed Awakening in West Center.

“One of our goals was to reach out and meet people and show who we are as Peer Health Educators and what we stand for in our group,” said Alexis Haynes, a student involved in Peer Health Educators.

Peer Health Educators is a student-led organization that encourages and helps students make healthy choices. They planned “No Lonely Loper” in September for National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. Their goal was to advocate for mental health and suicide prevention. 

The event provided music, free coffee coupons and motivational stickers. “No Lonely Loper” was coordinated similarly to the previous year but also offered something new.

“One new thing that we did this year is we had a representative from the counseling office there to talk to people if they were interested in making an appointment with them,” Haynes said.

Mary Fruhling, wellness promotion and prevention coordinator for Student Health Counseling, assisted in arranging the event and said she hopes to bring students together.

“(No Loney Loper) offers something to students that would brighten up their day and make some connections,” Fruhling said.

The event scheduling was intended to not take time out of students’ schedules but to allow them to connect and enjoy what was offered while going to and from classes. 

“It allows students to relax and not focus so much on the school aspect of everything,” said Mckenna Reddinger, a student involved in Peer Health Educators. 

Included at the event was a chalkboard where students could write inspirational messages or motivational quotes for others to read.

The Peer Health Educators are continually planning future events for students in the following months. In October, they will hold an event focusing on substance abuse awareness, and in November, the group plans to promote inclusivity on campus. To conclude the semester, students will be provided with wellness activities during the week before finals. 

Stickers and notepads with motivating quotes were also provided for students to remind them they are not alone. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff