Three scores in soccer’s first win since 2021

Corynne Olsen celebrates with teammate Sarah Levy after scoring the first goal of her collegiate career. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff

The UNK soccer team won their first home game since Oct. 1, 2021, beating Quincy 3-0.

Giving coach Rob Breton his first career win with the Lopers.

“It felt like a weight off the shoulder honestly but at the same time it’s something I’ve known we could do, just kind of waiting for them to do what they should,” Breton said. “It just felt like another game for me but I’m more excited for them being able to get that first W while being coached by me.”

Quincy had an early opportunity with a penalty kick but goalkeeper, Makenzie Smith, blocked it.

Katie Pagel delivered a corner kick and junior Emily Flowers headed it in for a 1-0 lead.

“It was awesome to score the first goal,” Flowers said. “I was out with an injury most of last year so I didn’t really have that opportunity that I would have liked to of had. It was just really cool to be in that position and everyone was super happy for me, and the energy was awesome. It was also definitely relieving to see everything come to a result that we’ve been looking forward to and that we want.”

Less than five minutes later, off a breakaway, sophomore Corynne Olsen scored the second goal for the Lopers, stretching the lead to two at halftime. 

Early in the second half, freshman Sarah Levy scored the third goal for UNK. 

It was the first collegiate goal for Flowers, Olsen and Levy.

“I gotta give credit to all three players who scored,” Breton said. “I would like to give Emily Flowers credit because she’s really stepped up in the defensive midfield role for us and really starting to embrace that piece and responsibility that she’s given. So, I’m really excited for what she’s been doing so far.”         

The Lopers had 13 shots and eight on goal. Quincy had six but only one on goal. 

UNK’s last win in 2021 was a 2-1 double overtime victory over Newman. Fifth year midfielder Cammie Davis scored and assisted on the game winning goal in that contest.

Going from a hot, sunny game on Friday, to cold and rainy on Sunday, UNK faced off against Drury which ended in a 2-0 loss for the Lopers. 

Midway into the first half, Drury scored, making it 1-0 at halftime.

Just over 20 minutes into the second half, from a corner kick, the Panthers scored off a header.  The Lopers took just three shots in the game, only two on goal.

After a scrappy battle in the rain, the Lopers held Drury to two goals out of their 20 shots.

“They were willing to compete for that full 90 minutes, which is huge,” Breton said. “It didn’t matter what it looked like they were still willing to go until that last whistle which is a very big mentality piece that we’re trying to work towards.”

Friday’s win marked the first for coach Rob Breton at UNK. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff