Residential parking passes sell out early again

Lot 2 was repainted to house 20 additional parking stalls. Photo by Kolton Maturey / Antelope Staff

Residential parking passes have continued to follow the trend of selling out early. For the 2023-24 academic year, residential permits sold out on Aug. 6, already ahead of last year’s move-in day sellout.

UNK Police said they recognize the obstacles this may create.

“We know and understand that parking is never easy,” said Ted Eichholz, UNK parking services coordinator. “There’s no way that we can make everybody happy. We do the best that we can.”

Sales of residential permits were cut off at 1,050 passes. Students can get on the waitlist but are not guaranteed a parking pass. As of Aug. 9, 55 students were on the waitlist.

Eichholz thinks the quick sellout may be due to early advertising and pushing sales at new student enrollment. Merging Zone A permits, previously used for fraternity and sorority housing, with residential permits could have heightened the demand as well.

To create more residential parking, Lot 2 was reconfigured to host 20 additional stalls. Students can also park on the north side of Lot 8 now whereas only the south side was open to residents in years past.

One option still available for students living on campus is to purchase a perimeter permit. Students can park on campus with this permit but will be farther from their dorm.

Eichholz encourages residential students to purchase a perimeter permit.

“My recommendation would be to get the perimeter permit and walk,” Eicholz said. “At least then you’re on campus. Campus is a very well-lit area and typically a very safe area. You take your chances out in the neighborhood.”

Commuter passes are still available for students living off campus. 

Permits will start being enforced on Aug. 21. UNK Police will begin checking that students’ permits are visible and are parked in the correct lot from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Eichholz said UNK Police hopes to highlight the new electric vehicle charging stations. The stations are in Lot 8, Lot 20 and the alleyway in Lot 11 between Mantor and Randall. Each of the three stations can charge two vehicles and are open to any valid permit. Vehicles parked in the stalls must be connected to the charger.

Metered parking areas also got a revamp. In addition to taking coins, the meters can be paid for through an app. To use, download AMP Park or scan the QR code on the meter’s sign. The meter doesn’t change colors if paid for through the app but will go through on officers’ devices. This feature is available on parking meter stalls in Lots 4 and 7.