Comm students bring back hardware from New York

Ethan McCormick, Jon Willis, and Grant Tighe are among the students who were nominated for awards. Courtesy photo

torresm@lopers.unk.edu

Ethan McCormick and Jon Willis traveled to New York City for the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS) awards. The UNK students had submissions that placed first in their respective categories.

In addition to the two winners, Alex Hammeke, Grant Tighe, Canon Rath and Grace McDonald had nominations.

IBS is a broadcasting awards program based in New York City. Each year, they have a list of categories for the awards and different criteria that must be met for each of them.

UNK has been sending students to the IBS awards since 2015. Due to COVID-19, the trip to New York hasn’t been possible since 2020 until this year.

This year there were 15 entries, six finalists and two winners.

McCormick won the category for best pregame and postgame show broadcast and Willis won the category for best station or event promo.

This was McCormick’s first time submitting content for the awards.

He was a part of the football broadcast team this season on UNK’s student radio station, 91.1 KLPR. McCormick did the pregame, postgame and halftime show for UNK’s football game against Fort Hays State.

McCormick was grateful that his work allowed him to go to the IBS awards.

“New York was one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had in my life,” McCormick said.

Willis submitted a UNK fall sports promotion for KLPR. He submitted content last year, but was not a finalist.

“I usually have a good understanding of what the judges are looking for,” Willis said. “I helped play a part in all five finalist submissions.”

His favorite part of the experience was being in New York City with Tighe and McCormick, seeing a Knicks game and getting to accept an award in front of his family, who also made the trip to attend the ceremony.

“I’m blessed with very great staff who understands it’s not just about being talented,”  said Ford Clark, Senior Lecturer and the General Manager of KLPR.  They understand they need to work hard to be at the level they are.”

Clark believed that his students could win at the IBS awards as he was confident in his students and their ability. 

Jacob Rosdail, a video production professor at UNK, was also able to come on the trip. 

“It was awesome that Professor Rosdail was able to go,” Clark said. “It was fun to go with a colleague for the first time.”

It was Rosdail’s first time at the IBS awards. His favorite part was seeing the students walk on stage to take their first-place certificate.

“Hopefully these opportunities keep coming,” Rosdail said. “My wish is that more students can go and experience this.”