Student teacher arrested for sexual assault 

KeyShaun_VanDyke
KeyShaun_VanDyke

AND JENNA HEINZ

bruningm@lopers.unk.edu heinzj@lopers.unk.edu

A Kearney High student teacher and UNK student, KeyShaun VanDyke, was charged for first-degree sexual assault of a child. VanDyke, 23, was arrested in the late afternoon of March 14. 

According to a Kearney Hub article, court records state the incident happened on March 5. 

Jason Mundorf, superintendent at Kearney Public Schools, explained how the school found and referred the matter to law enforcement. 

“KPS was contacted through our student reporting system that a KHS student had a recent sexual encounter with a student teacher,” Mundorf said. “KPS personnel immediately turned this matter over to local law enforcement.”

VanDyke is enrolled in the student teaching program this spring at UNK. He was set to graduate with a major in physical education for grades 7-12. VanDyke is listed as an outside linebacker for UNK’s football team from 2018 to 2022. In 2021, he was crowned Mr. King of Hearts and Mr. Congeniality at UNK Alpha Phi’s annual fundraising event.

Todd Gottula, UNK senior director of communications and marketing, said the university is evaluating VanDyke’s involvement in the incident. 

“We are aware of the situation involving KeyShaun VanDyke, and the university’s conduct board is reviewing and investigating the allegations,” Gottula said. “We will not discuss any details of the case, as it is an active investigation.”

According to a NTV News article, VanDyke’s bond was set for $20,000. There is also an option for surety, when another individual agrees in writing to take on the debt needing to be paid. VanDyke’s following court date is scheduled for April 12. 

Mundorf said the situation is unfortunate but KPS is grateful for learning of the situation and the action taken by KPD. 

“Our students’ safety is critically important and we appreciate the notification system that allowed us to be made aware of this situation,” Mundorf said. “We appreciate the rapid response and thorough investigation conducted by the Kearney Police Department.”