Student unleashes Godzilla’s rampage through artwork

David Palacios adds his monster-themed touch to art wall. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff

torresm@lopers.unk.edu

What does Godzilla do when he’s not out destroying cities? He frequents the Fine Arts Building at UNK thanks to a student’s artwork.

David Palacios, a junior studying studio art with a minor in 2D art, has decided to bring his own unique twist to the walls of the Fine Arts Building.

“It’s become a tradition to add whatever I’m fixating on at the moment,” Palacios said. “I’m just trying to bring a little bit of light and fun to the wall.”

Palacios’ fixation on Godzilla started in preschool when his friend showed him the film on VHS. However, his fixation with art began with his uncle, who was a mentor and inspiration for him.

His artwork quickly picked up the attention of his peers as well as the attention of Paul Twigg, the Interim Dean for the College of Arts and Sciences, Twigg is always looking to highlight students on social media and was drawn to Palacios.

“David was starting with a blank slate,” Twigg said. “He was adding to what would have otherwise been a boring hallway.”

Palacios’ art is turning heads as students walk by sparking tons of mixed reactions, with lots of positive reviews.

“I try and be as realistic as possible to the source, but I always have to add my own flavor to it,” Palacios said.

After he graduates, Palacios wants to work with movie studios on creature creation and monster designs. 

“I’ve taken ceramics and made models, but I want to work with modeling clay for large concept designs,” Palacios said. “I’d like to be able to work on the finished product with the Animatronics.”

Twigg was impressed with Palacios’ ability to represent UNK on social media.

“He wasn’t bashful about getting his photo taken,” Twigg said. “He’s a great artist who’s willing to talk about his work.”

Twigg believes that other students have a lot to learn from Palacios and his art.

“Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there,” Twigg said. “It’s okay to be critiqued.”

Palacios isn’t just limited to Godzilla art. He draws a lot of inspiration from TV, movies and video games. He’s currently working on a mural based on “The Last of Us,” which is a popular game series and new TV series.

People can view more of Palacio’s creatures on his Instagram @david_j_pala, where he posts many of his passion projects.