Greeks give tours at Martin Hall ribbon cutting 

Phi Delta Theta members hang out in their new chapter room. Photo by Grace McDonald / Antelope Staff

hammekea@lopers.unk.edu

After sitting vacant the past nine years, Martin Hall finally has students again. UNK welcomed the first phase of new Fraternity and Sorority Life housing with a ribbon cutting Wednesday.

Interfraternity Council President Joseph Hiatt said this move will help Greek life with their position on campus.

“Most notably this housing project assists in providing the IFC fraternities with more visibility to the rest of campus life,” Hiatt said. “And [it] also reduces a lot of distance for those traveling to the Student Union on our main campus, and positions our community to uniquely establish a culture of care and community.”

Previously located at URN and URS, the five fraternities; Delta Tau Delta, Phi Delta Theta, Pi Kappa Alpha on campus moved into the new renovated Martin Hall over the intersession. Each fraternity has their own chapter room, alongside the “great room” where the ceremony are held. 

Initially planned to open for the start of the academic year, the building was still under construction during the open house, with work continuing on landscaping, the roof and chapter rooms. The project went over budget, with the initial costs being at $26.65 million. Right now, the project cost sits at $32.65 million. 

Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management and Marketing Kelly Bartling hopes this drives students to attend UNK.

“When you look at our student body, the fraternity and sorority leadership are student government leaders. They are active in the community,” Bartling said. “Having this space for them right in the center of campus just makes it visible. They’re active recruiters for us as well. I think when people come to campus and they come in to the east side of campus and see the entrance, they see these wonderful housing facilities that will be attractive to prospective students.”

UNK’s sororities and three multicultural Greek chapters will receive new housing next fall. The new residence hall currently under construction north of Martin Hall will house the remaining chapters. UNK’s Panhellenic sororities remain at URS and URN. This includes Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, Alpha Xi Delta and Gamma Phi Beta. 

The multicultural Greek chapters, Lambda Theta Nu, Sigma Lambda Gamma sororities and Sigma Lambda Beta fraternity, were founded after URN and URS were constructed and do not have a chapter home.