Student survey on the horizon to evaluate campus culture

hammekea@lopers.unk.edu

Maha Younes wants to change the Nebraska University Climate Survey due to length concerns. Student government wants to help with the support to change that.

At the Tuesday senate meeting, student body president Emily Saadi hinted that a future meeting could contain the first resolution of the school year.

“Dr. Younes has expressed that she would like to see a resolution go through student government in support of this strategic plan,” Saadi said. “A similar resolution has gone through faculty senate and through the cabinet.”

The NU climate survey is distributed every fall to the students at UNK, UNL, UNO, and UNMC. Last fall, students answered 29 questions such as, “My professors at the University of Nebraska care about me as a person,” and “The climate on my campus prevents some people from saying things they believe because others might find them offensive.”

Faculty and staff fill out a 32-question climate survey with questions such as, “My supervisor creates an environment that is trusting and open,” and “At work, we are direct and honest in all our communications.”

The results of the survey were released in late April by university administrators. The survey provided important information about what students think about their experiences on campus. 

While the survey provided the opinions students hold about the campus climate, it was the first year that a campus climate survey was conducted by the university. 

Across the four campuses, roughly 6,700 students responded to the survey out of the nearly 50,000 NU students last year. By shortening the survey, Younes hopes to boost the number of students who fill it out.

These were some of the first issues that Kali Herbolsheimer had on her plate as a senator. Herbolsheimer was sworn in as a senator for the College of Education. A member of Alpha Omicron Pi and Panhellenic president, she passed through the rules and ethics committee unanimously and wants to advocate for accessibility on campus.

Student government also approved the constitutions for the UNK Fish and Wildlife Society and Lopes for Hope. The Fish and Wildlife Society is targeted towards wildlife and fisheries majors, however is open to everyone. Thirty people attended the kickoff meeting earlier this month. Lopes for Hope is sponsored by McKenna’s Rae of Hope Foundation and 117 students are interested in the organization. Peer Health and UNK Counseling are associated with the group.

Student government holds meetings every Tuesday in the Antelope Room of the Nebraskan Student Union at 5:30 p.m. The next meeting will be a full senate meeting, scheduled for Sept. 27.