Home opener excites team

Football on field.

burdkl@lopers.unk.edu

After starting the season 1-0 with a 24-7 win at Missouri Southern, the Lopers will be back in Kearney for their home opener against Pittsburg State.

‘It’s exciting,” Lynn said. “I think the campus is excited and the community is excited. I’m looking for a big crowd. I think there will be a crowd Thursday night, if not a sold-out crowd, so we’re ready to go.”

While UNK still put up 24 points versus Missouri Southern a week ago, several scoring opportunities were left on the field.

“Offensively we’ve got to put points on the board,” Lynn said. “We put up a lot of yards on Thursday, however, we missed two field goals, were inside the red zone late in the second quarter and didn’t get any points up. We need to do a better job of offensively not only moving the ball, but putting points on the board.”

Pittsburg State earned a 21-10 week 1 victory over Central Missouri with 466 yards of total offense. Gorillas quarterback Chad Dodson Jr. accounted for most of that, throwing for 387 yards and three touchdowns.

The Lopers have won two straight against the Gorillas, defeating them 28-17 in their last matchup.

“Pittsburg State is a very good football team,” Lynn said. “These are the types of games that really dictate who wins or loses in the MIAA. Pittsburg is a very good and improved football team, and that’s coming off an 8-3 season. We’ve got our hands full and we better be ready to play.”

UNK and Pittsburg State will kick off at 7 p.m. on Thursday at Foster Field.