Student Senate appoints adviser, discusses 2022-23 plans  

Gavel
Gavel

heinzj@lopers.unk.edu

UNK Student Government held its first meeting of the year last Tuesday in the Nebraskan Student Union. Student senators approved a new adviser and discussed plans for the school year.

Renae Zimmer, director of Student Engagement, was approved to be the adviser after a vote by the student senators. 

“She’s incredibly busy and she works super hard,” said Zach Zavodny, student body vice president. “We are really just happy to have her on board because we know that she’ll always be there for us and willing to help us with whatever we need.”

During the meeting, Zimmer came to the front and expressed her excitement to be adviser for student government. As adviser, Zimmer will help oversee and push the group’s goals through.

Emily Saadi, student body president, said Zimmer will be a large help for the organization’s execution of plans.

“She’s really connected on campus,” Saadi said. “She knows who to talk to to get (things) done. Just being in those rooms and saying, ‘Hey, this is the student testimonies that we have. Students are having these issues.’”

Plans for the school year revolve heavily around advocating for students’ concerns and their needs. Issues currently on the table include parking, mental health, Greek housing, product availability in the bookstore, modernization and campus security.

To address students’ concerns, Senate members plan to take issues straight to the administration.

“When you’re in an administrative role, you don’t necessarily hear the plight of students as often as you may like to,” Zavodny said. “You’re not even necessarily aware of some of the issues that students are facing, but the administration is just so wonderful at UNK. They really are here for the students and they’re always willing to listen and make changes based on what they hear.”

The senate will congregate each week 5:30 p.m. on Tuesdays to discuss development and new business. Meetings are open to the public, and students are encouraged to apply for a spot in the senate.

Students looking to become a member of the senate can go to unk.edu/studentgovernment to find senate applications and vacancies.

“If you’re passionate about issues that are facing the student body, and you feel like no one is doing anything about them, then you could join student government and work to find a solution,” Saadi said. “Ultimately, our goal is to make the students’ four, five or six years that they’re here, the best educational and personal experience that they can have.”