Women’s soccer seniors working to go out on a high note

pexels-pixabay-274506

burdkl@lopers.unk.edu

After finishing with a 2-16 record last season, the UNK women’s soccer team went in a different direction, hiring Rob Breton as the new head coach. With a newfound sense of confidence, the Lopers are looking to make strides this year.

The group has 18 returning players, along with eight newcomers. 

“Personality-wise, we have a bunch of really high-quality players when it comes to their character, morals and standards,” Breton said. “I think it’s going to be easy for them to help guide the incoming freshman and transfers in regards to how it’s going to be playing in a conference at this competition level.”

One of those returners is Cammie Davis, who had one goal and assist last season. Davis is entering her senior year looking to end on a high note.

“It feels surreal,” Davis said. “Everyone tells you it goes by quickly, and they are correct. I’m really excited about playing with this team, so I’m very hopeful.”

Creating a team bond and reaching the conference tournament are the team’s main goals this year, but Davis also has some objectives of her own that she wants to accomplish.

“My main goal individually is to create more goal scoring opportunities either for a teammate or myself,” Davis said. “We need to start consistently getting the ball in the back of the net to win games and get where we want to go.” 

After being out due to injury, senior Raegan Downham will be back on the defensive line again this season with Lily Engeman. Sophomore Dolcie Hanlon will be in the mix as well after stepping up last year.

With an immediate impact through his energy and attitude, Breton has made it a priority to establish a winning culture.

“First, I want to see that we’re going to become more mental warriors when it comes to our game play and mentality,” Breton said. “For what they’ve experienced and produced in the past result-wise, they have to learn how to handle the lows, push through those and progress to those high points.”

The accountability and discipline was seen right away as the entire team stepped up and passed the required fitness test on the very first day.

In the MIAA, no game is a given, so the team wants to compete with the same amount of intensity every single match.

“I want the team to become very gritty and hardworking,” Breton said. “I want them to set a standard that it doesn’t matter whether we’re the best team or the second best team on the field, because we’re going to be the hardest working team on the field and we’re not going to stop until that final whistle.”

With 11 seniors entering their final stretch with the Lopers, Breton is hopeful to immediately start shifting the program in the right direction.

“I’m really excited to help these girls get a new environment, a new opportunity and new progress,” Breton said. “The senior class that’s been here, I want to send them out on a good note. I want to send them out being able to say that they felt a change in where it was to where it is from the day that they started to the day that they left.”