Korean student population depletes due to pandemic

Jaekeun Cho helps Korean students with all concerns on campus with the goal to solve problems, give advice, assist in whatever a student needs to make the most of their time on the UNK campus.
Photo by Jisoo Shim
Jaekeun Cho helps Korean students with all concerns on campus with the goal to solve problems, give advice, assist in whatever a student needs to make the most of their time on the UNK campus. Photo by Jisoo Shim

ramirezy@lopers.unk.edu

The Korean student community at UNK has depleted in recent years due to the pandemic. Holding a Korean festival is not possible with such a low number of students.

Many of the Korean students at UNK were exchange students. 

“We don’t get a lot of degree-seeking students from Korea,” said Tracy Falconer, Assistant Director of International Student Services, Admission, and Immigration. “Korean universities are very prestigious and it’s not going to be as common as some other countries for students to seek out a degree from the U.S. When we are really looking at Korean students, we are looking at exchange programs.” 

UNK used to have a larger population of Korean students on campus. In the Fall of 2018, there were forty-nine students enrolled at the university. That number has gone down to 11.  Many study abroad programs are still shut down across the world.

The Korean Student Association at Kearney had to make the decision to put the organization on pause.

“There are not many Korean students, we used to have a lot,” said Jeong Hoon Choi, Associate Professor and KSAK’s advisor. “Now it is still hard to find Korean students who want to step up and fill positions for KSAK.” 

There are only 3 degree-seeking Korean students at UNK. Two of those students are graduating this spring. The organization has been met with challenges by relying on exchange students for members. Exchange students are usually only at UNK for one or two semesters. The pandemic has affected enrollment.

The current KSAK president has had to step down as he is preparing for graduation. 

“It feels like I’m losing my responsibility as a Korean at UNK, but it is time to pause the organization,” said Yoon Gu Kang, KSAK’s president. “We were trying to have the Korean festival this March. Hopefully, the COVID situation will get better, and more Korean students will come to UNK. If somebody is looking for KSAK and is willing to launch the organization, I hope it will be revived. “

The Korean festival was an event that was always filled with students, faculty, and families. Showcasing Korean cuisine, traditional and Korean-pop dances and presentations about Korean culture. The Korean festival was an opportunity for Korean students to bring their home to UNK.

“I felt included despite not being a Korean student and in the end, we all had fun participating in the festival together,” said Evelin Vasquez, a previous KSAK member. “It was a great experience showing the community Korean culture. I have fond memories of my time in KSAK and will miss the way we bonded together in our shared interests.” 

It was a difficult decision to be made, but Choi and Kang are hopeful that KSAK will be revived and UNK will be able to celebrate Korean culture once again.