UNK women’s soccer hits the field for spring season

RYAN RANGE / ANTELOPE STAFF Although there are no official statistics being held for the spring season, the team is putting in work for their next season.

tighegd@lopers.unk.edu

It has been a rough start for the UNK women’s soccer team. The Lopers scored three goals in their first match of the spring season in an overtime loss to Missouri Western State. Since then, the Lopers have not scored a goal in three straight games. 

Although they may not be getting the results they want, this spring season is still beneficial to what they want to do in the fall.

“It’s a great chance to rotate a lot of players and for the freshmen to see what it is like to play against MIAA teams,” said head coach Chloe Roberts. “It’s also a chance for us to try some things on the attacking end and also on the way we want to play defensively. It’s also a great chance to play without the pressure of it counting towards an actual record.”

UNK was looking to end their scoring drought against the Washburn Ichabods on Thursday. Washburn became the aggressor early on, getting a good look at the goal right off the bat on the first play that awarded them with a corner kick.

At the 20:04 mark, Washburn defender Kati Sneegas kicked a tough shot towards the left side of the goal. Loper goalkeeper Emery Mounce made a great save on the play to keep the game scoreless. 

“(Mounce) has had to step up a little bit recently because our other keeper has been injured so she’s been seeing a lot of playing time,” Roberts said. “This Washburn game was one of her best games that I’ve seen her play here. I think she’s getting more confidence game by game. This is the perfect chance for her as a freshman to come in when these games don’t really count.”

UNK’s best look of the day came at the 40:28 mark on a free kick shot from 25 yards out by midfielder Cammie Davis following a foul by the Ichabods. Davis’s kick was directly on the goal, but it was punched away by Washburn goalkeeper Raegan Wells.  The teams went into halftime tied 0-0. 

“The goalkeeper made a great play,” Roberts said. “We’re definitely creating the chances, but sometimes we need a little bit of luck on our side.”

The teams remained scoreless throughout the second half as they traded shots, but Washburn always seemed to be getting the better opportunities. Washburn midfielder Tera Lynch was able to set up a corner kick opportunity for the Ichabods at the 73:39 mark. Lynch kicked a perfect corner kick to midfielder Sydney Rosemann who was able to pass it to defender Carlee Thompson who scored the right-footed goal for Washburn. 

Washburn did not give the Lopers another opportunity and went on to win the game 1-0. Washburn outshot UNK 12-5 overall in the game and had nine corner kicks compared to just one for the Lopers. Mounce ended up with seven saves overall in the game. 

The Lopers traveled to Emporia State on Sunday to take on the undefeated Hornets. 

“It’s a grass field and we’re used to playing on turf so that’s another thing we have to adjust to,” Roberts said. “Their dimensions are a little as they are smaller than our field.”

UNK had a great opportunity early in the game on a shot attempt by Bridget Barker that was punched away by the Hornets goalie. Emporia State then responded with three shot attempts all blocked by the Loper defense.

The Loper defense would not be able to hold for much longer though as Hornets forward Mackenzie Dimarco scored with 11:16 left in the first half. Emporia State then scored again off a goal from forwarding Anna Burnett with 1:55 left in the half. The Hornets went into the half with a 0-2 lead over the Lopers. 

Emporia State scored five more goals in the second half to win the game 0-7. Dimarco added her second goal of the game with 33:42 left in the match. 

“She’s a really good center forward for their team,” Roberts said. “She basically runs the show for them.”

The Lopers will be back in action at home on Friday against NW Missouri State and on Sunday against Missouri Western State.