Bruner Hall restoration nearing spring completion

JIYOON KIM / ANTELOPE STAFF C-Tech Restoration was called in to work on damages from the flooding in Bruner Hall.

larsonjt2@lopers.unk.edu

Bruner Hall has been undergoing restoration work since a pipe burst due to cold weather in February, flooding labs and classrooms throughout all four floors. Two months later, the hall is reoccupied, but work is expected to continue for months to come.

The restoration has been led by C-Tech Restoration with assistance from Yellow Van Cleaning and Restoration. In the first week, the restoration crew committed 1,000 hours of work to the project. Since then, restoration has been completed on a majority of the emergency repairs.

“Most areas have been reoccupied,” said Michael Cremers, Assistant Director of Facilities Management and Planning. 

There was no structural damage to the building, however 50% of the building was impacted by the flooding. Critical repairs that were incurred are the first priority of the restoration project. Any noncritical or long-term issues being addressed possibly throughout the summer.

“We are in the process of developing construction plans to address the longer term repairs, such as flooring, cabinetry, electrical and mechanical items. We hope to complete these repairs over the coming months,” Cremers said.

Outside of structural damage, equipment was also damaged during the flood to an unknown extent. 

“Currently, there is a significant effort to evaluate various equipment that was potentially damaged during the flood,” Cremers said.