Where to find a job in Kearney – Part time and full time positions as a student

UNK Louie Loper

henryaj@lopers.unk.edu

Looking for a job while attending class is a high priority for many incoming and current UNK students. 

By definition, a full-time student is required to be taking at least 12 credit hours, though many students take well over 15. If a student lives off campus, they likely pay rent and other expenses. These costs can add up quickly, meaning that for many students, a part time job is usually on their schedule as well.

Part-time positions can range anywhere from 20-25 hours per week totalling about 40 hours every two weeks. This income can be crucial for students living in Kearney, but in a town with over 33,000 residents, coming across a part time position that is flexible with school hours can be hard. 

A number of resources are available for students to use when looking for an open position. The career fair features a number of different businesses and organizations looking for employees and students interested in a career in their field. These fairs are an excellent way for students to get their foot in the door to a position that may help them in the future. 

Another option students can use from home is using the online hiring service Indeed. The Indeed website allows students to look up open part-time and full-time positions specifically in the Kearney area. Students are able to see the hours the position requires, the hourly pay rate, and the qualifications needed for the job. Students are also able to apply for positions directly from the website and upload any resumes or documents that might be needed. 

Indeed allows employers to reach out to students if a student’s resume matches their job description. For example, if students have experience in customer service, a hiring director may reach out to a student and ask if they would like to apply for their position.

Another great resource is Facebook Marketplace. Many people who are looking for babysitters, groundskeepers and errand-runners will post about openings on the platform, and. though these are typically side jobs that may not have reliable hours, it’s still a way to make some extra money. 

Asking advisors for assistance is another way to begin a job search. Advisors are there to help, and they might  know about open positions that are related to their student’s future career field. This can also help create relationships that can help students later on in their careers. 

Finding a job does not have to be stressful, and all of these options are great resources to use when the time comes.