Six hits to watch on Netflix, Hulu and Disney+

VIDEO SCREENSHOT BY LESLIE KATZ / CNET ‘The New York Times Presents: Framing Britney Spears’ is available on Hulu.

mayln@lopers.unk.edu

With several major streaming platforms producing content weekly, there are plenty of entertainment options. Here are some of the most popular shows this month:

“Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer” (Netflix)

“Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer” recounts the crimes and capture of notorious serial killer Richard Ramirez in 1980s Los Angeles. Primarily told through the perspectives of detectives who investigated Ramirez’s crimes, this film offers a unique look at one of the most brutal crime sprees in American history. 

Since its release, “Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer” captivated audiences across the country. While it has a graphic nature, it is a fascinating story of a horrifying part of Los Angeles’ history. 

“The New York Times Presents: Framing Britney Spears” (Hulu)

“The New York Times Presents: Framing Britney Spears” provides a new look into the pop icon’s life and delves into the issue of her conservatorship in which her father controls various aspects of life. This includes finances, relationships, legal representation and work. The documentary also highlights her fans’ battle to raise awareness for Spears’s plight.

The documentary’s release reinvigorated the #FreeBritney movement and put her legal battle in the spotlight once again. Check out “The New York Times Presents: Framing Britney Spears” if you are looking for an inside look into the life of Spears.

“WandaVision” (Disney+)

Set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, “WandaVision” follows Wanda Maximoff, also known as the Scarlet Witch, and Vision as they settle into suburban life after the events of Avengers: Endgame. As the couple tries to conceal their true identities, they realize things may not be as they seem.

“WandaVision” is an intriguing continuation of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. As it follows the couple, it transcends decades and classic television tropes, integrating them into the story. Full of easter eggs for viewers, “WandaVision” provides an immersive and interesting continuation after “Avengers: Endgame”.

“Icarus” (Netflix)

“Icarus” follows Bryan Fogel, a documentarian and amateur cyclist who investigates the options of doping while competing in sports. However, Fogel uncovers a major international doping scandal when he asks Grigory Rodchenkov, head of the Russian anti-doping laboratory for help. “Icarus” eventually helps unveil the state-run doping program in Russia.

“Icarus” is an intriguing and unintended look into the state-run doping program in Russia that caused Russia to be banned from Olympic competition.

“Bridgerton” (Netflix)

Set in 19th century Britain, the series follows the aristocratic Bridgerton family and the scandalous events that follow them. As Daphne, the eldest Bridgerton daughter, enters her first social season with the Queen’s favor, she soon finds herself in a plot with the Duke of Hastings. 

“Bridgerton” is rife with drama and is akin to Gossip Girl in its structure, with the narration of anonymous columnist Lady Whistledown. Fans of Downton Abbey and Gossip Girl are sure to find something to like in this period drama.

“The Queen’s Gambit” (Netflix)

“The Queen’s Gambit” is an enticing period drama set in the 1950s and 60s. The series follows orphaned chess prodigy Beth Harmon as she rises to the top of the chess world and simultaneously struggles with drug and alcohol dependency.

“The Queen’s Gambit” has become Netflix’s biggest scripted limited series to date, as 62 million households have watched it since its release in October 2020. The series takes an engaging look at drug dependency and its place within the 1960s. If you are looking for an enthralling, female-focused period drama, people consider adding “The Queen’s Gambit” to their must-watch list.