#FreeBritney documentary attracts the spotlight

UNK Louie Loper

mayln@lopers.unk.edu

The #FreeBritney movement has moved from social media into the streets, but how will it achieve its main goal: freeing Britney Spears from her conservatorship?

With the release of the documentary “Framing Britney Spears”, the controversy surrounding the conservatorship of Britney Spears has entered the spotlight.

Britney Spears was put under a conservatorship 12 years ago following her infamous public breakdown, in which she shaved her head and attacked a member of the paparazzi. After receiving psychiatric care, her father Jamie Spears petitioned the court for an emergency temporary conservatorship. The conservatorship granted Jamie Spears control of Britney Spears’ finances, health decisions, business ventures and personal life. Jamie Spears maintained these until 2019.

Since 2019, Britney Spears’ conservatorship has been in limbo as her father attempts to regain control after stepping down for health reasons. This recent development has caused Britney Spears’ fan base to renew calls for the conservatorship to be absolved in order for her to regain autonomy. In court documents, Britney Spears stated she “strongly prefers” that licensed conservator Jodi Montgomery remain in control.

Fans of Britney Spears advocated for her to have more autonomy and control over herself. The website, FreeBritney.net, issued a statement saying that since her conservatorship has been established, Britney Spears has participated in activities that show she is capable of having more autonomy, such as touring, producing albums and participating on television shows.

“We are now at a point where the conservatorship must be changed substantially in order to reflect the major changes in her current lifestyle and her stated wishes,” said Samuel Ingram, Britney Spears’ court-appointed attorney in court documents.

Britney Spears’ plight was spotlighted by The New York Times in their documentary “Framing Britney Spears”. Since its release, the issue of her conservatorship has become a mainstream topic.

As it continues to be evaluated in court, her fans will continue to advocate for autonomy, whether in the streets or through film.