LPAC Day of Kindness event helps students relieve stress

JIYOON KIM / ANTELOPE STAFF Madeline Riesberg (left) and Emily Saadi (right) show off their sloths.

brownc4@lopers.unk.edu

Students gathered in the Nebraskan Student Union Friday to get their own build-a-bear stuffed animals or succulent planters. The event was put on by the Loper Programming and Activities Council and was held just in time for both Valentine’s Day and Random Acts of Kindness Day. 

With similar build-a-bear events held last semester to great success, the stuffing was paired with succulent planters for a new twist.

“We thought that the build-a-bear was such a big hit that we wanted to try to find something else to pair it with to make it something new,” said LPAC member Laila Saadi. “It went so fast [last semester] because everybody was enjoying it so much [that] we wanted to bring it back.”

Last semester, LPAC members did not anticipate the number of students that would attend the event, which resulted in a shortage of materials. This time, the organization was prepared for the turnout. LPAC purchased materials for a total of 800 stuffed animals and 350 succulent planters. Options for stuffed animals included sloths, monkeys, foxes, giraffes, owls, pandas, polar bears, llamas and cows. The succulent planters were purchased from The Rooted Farmhouse in Ravenna. The event was paired with the Antelope Bookstore to offer students 25% off of a clothing item upon presentation of a build-a-bear from LPAC.

Turnout boomed again, with a long line forming as soon as the event began. Overflow space was added upstairs in the Ponderosa Room, where succulent planters were also available. 

Sophomore UNK tour guide Jenny Kelly enjoys the opportunity to share her experiences from events like this with perspective students.

“I love it,” Kelly said. “I think it’s a great opportunity to bring in students that maybe live off-campus to come. I love when UNK does events like this.”

For LPAC, the event is a great opportunity to continue promoting campus life.

“We’re just hoping that it can bring students together and give them a way to have fun, a way to destress,” Saadi said. “We’re just trying to come up with new events that can really benefit UNK students and the UNK community.”

LPAC planned to have the event again Feb. 16, but it has been postponed due to the weather. Updates can be found on the LPAC Facebook page as well as the UNK calendar.