Common student financial questions answered

The financial aid office is open for students to contact and learn more information about financial aid.

diesnnerc2@lopers.unk.edu

Figuring out the financial side of college, especially as a freshman, can be confusing. With bills due this week, students tend to scramble to figure out financial aid and how to pay. Below are some common questions and answers on paying your bill and handling your financial aid.

When are bills due?

Bills are due in full on Sept. 24. E-bills were sent out to Lopermail accounts on Sept. 3. Students can pay this in their MyBLUE account. You can either select “Make A Payment” on the home screen or go to the Student Accounts tab to view the student invoice or view account details. You can also pay at the counter in the Finance Office located in Warner Hall.

I can’t pay for my balance out of pocket. What should I do?

Enroll in the Loper Payment Plan. This splits up the remaining amount of your bill into three equal payments. There is an enrollment fee of $20. The deadline to enroll in the Loper Payment Plan is Sept. 24. You can also speak with the Office of Financial Aid to see if you qualify for any additional aid.

Financial aid hasn’t been applied to my bill yet. Why?

Have you filled out the 20-21 FAFSA? If not, go to www.studentaid.gov, a student’s one-stop-shop to fill out the FAFSA, complete pre-loan counseling and receive information on current loans. Log in using your FSA ID and password. A new FAFSA form needs to be submitted every academic year. The 21-22 FAFSA will open up on Oct. 1. There is no due date to submit the FAFSA, but funds are limited, so it is important to complete the FAFSA soon after it opens

You should also check the To-Do list in your MyBLUE account. You may need to submit additional documents, called Verification forms, to the Office of Financial Aid before your aid can be dispersed. These forms can be accessed through MyBLUE or at www.unk.edu. Hover of the Admissions tab and select Financial Aid. 

Am I receiving a student refund?

If the amount of the financial aid you are to receive exceeds the amount of your bill, you will receive a student refund. Refunds are ordered through the Finance Office. It usually takes seven to 10 days to process after the refund shows up on your student account. If you have your bank account information entered into MyBLUE, your refund will go into the designated bank account. If you do not have your bank information entered, you will receive a paper check that can be picked up in the Finance Office. 

Do I qualify for the Nebraska Promise?

For the 20-21 school year, you must have completed your FAFSA application by June 1, 2020. Other criteria include being an undergraduate student, Nebraska resident, full-time enrollment (12 credits or more), have a family income of $60,000 or less and maintaining a minimum 2.5 GPA. For the 21-22 academic year, your FAFSA must be submitted by April 1. To see if you qualify, contact the Office of Financial Aid.