UNK track season comes to a halt due to COVID-19 issues

NCAA+logo
NCAA logo

MADISON REIBER
reibermj@lopers.unk.edu

Due to the sweeping effects of the coronavirus, the entire sports universe has been flipped upside down and canceled. 

UNK athletes planning to attend the NCAA indoor track and field championships were not able to go, due to the event being canceled by the NCAA. 

The NCAA Indoor Championship was scheduled for March 13 and 14. 

Three UNK track athletes qualified for the meet. Tiara Schmidt in the shot put and weight throw, Tanner Barth qualified in the shot put as well and Montrez Jackson made it in the high jump.

“Luckily, I have another year of competition, but I was looking forward to earning an All-American title that I’ve been working for since I became a collegiate athlete,” Schmidt said.   “At this point, I can’t dwell on what could’ve been. All I can do is continue to work for next year’s competitions.”

The NCAA championships all across sports have been canceled due to this pandemic that is sweeping the globe. 

As schools and colleges around the country are closing their doors in hopes to 

limit the spread of COVID-19, the NCAA will be reimbursing tickets along 

with eligibility relief for athletes.

“This decision is based on the evolving 

COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to the spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given the ongoing decisions of other entities,” the NCAA stated in there release. 

The safety of all athletes, spectators, students, and people is the main goal for these actions. In uncertain times institutions are trying to err on the side of caution.

UNK will have its final face-to-face classes this week proceeded to all online classes for the remainder of the semester along with UNL and UNO.

“As the spread of the coronavirus continues to disrupt many of our personal and professional lives, we find ourselves in a period of unique challenge and uncertainty,” said Carter, President of University of Nebraska system. “The chancellors and I, together with colleagues across the University of Nebraska system, are in daily communication about the impact of the virus on our community and what we can do to protect the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff.”