Village Flats Houses UNMC,UNK, and International students

IAN KAHLER
kahlerid@lopers.unk.edu

Village Flats is a new addition to the UNK Residence Life lineup of housing on the UNK campus. It all started in 2015 with the Board of Regents approving a new project by West Center for the University Village project. Village Flats’ primary purpose was to replace the University Heights Apartments that were sold and phased out due to the age and cost to renovate the building.

Village Flats is a 130-bed apartment style residence hall with 68 one-bedroom apartments and 31 two-bedroom apartments — all are fully accommodating, with internet, cable, utilities and furniture. They were designed specifically for upperclassmen, UNMC College of Nursing students and nontraditional students.

Completion of the building was in the summer 2018 and has been open for residents since November 2018.

Joel Kreifels is a senior criminal justice major with a minor in philosophy and has lived in Village Flats for a year-and-a-half.

“It’s been nice having my own place and having a kitchen to cook whatever I want, whenever I want. It’s great,” Kreifels said. “I think it’s great for people to get an understanding of what apartments will be like in their future as that’s what it is. It’s not a dorm so there are some differences which are great but also you take a more responsible mindset.”

Like other residence halls on campus, Village Flats has a front desk that is open throughout the week for mailing and residential needs like work orders, locked doors and general help for those who need it.

The new UNMC building on the UNK campus is also a big reason why the apartments at Village Flats have filled up this year. Marguerite Crozier is a Physician’s Assistant in the Masters program at UNMC and says the location and price is the number one reason she stays. “I love living here.The people are nice and it’s a good price and very conveniently located to where I, and many others go to school. Everything like internet and laundry is also offered,” Crozier said. “The location is especially during the winter months with the bad roads. Class is just a walk away instead of worrying about driving.”

Location is also a benefit for a resident who lives in Village Flats to work at the front desk for Residence Life. “A major benefit for living at Village Flats is that I don’t have to spend any gas to go to work. It’s just down the hall,” Joel Kreifels said. “Working at the front desk is a great way to meet new people moving in or catch up with another resident that I’ve seen around. It’s great.”

The future of the University Village settlement by the UNK campus is slowly expanding, as The Plambeck Early Childhood Education Center opens on November 4 and aims to be a child care center and learning place for future teachers. UNK also plans to pursue and add more private businesses, restaurants and places of interest in the 104-acre area around and by Village Flats and the new Plambeck Early Childhood Education Center.