Spring concert has successful turnout

AJR with LPAC

AJR band brings community together on campus for concert

By BRETT WESTFALL

For $20 to $25 a ticket, students and others from around the community and Nebraska attended the pop trio AJR concert at the UNK Health & Sports Center. Opened by the Talbott Brothers, UNK changed their lineup this year from the previous years by having the headlining act perform pop music instead of country.

“I loved that UNK changed it up from country this year,” said Donovan Revill, a sophomore from Omaha. “Everyone has their taste of music and some people don’t like country, so I love that they did this to let everyone have a chance to enjoy something different.”

Throughout the show, AJR added some alternative entertainment by performing theme songs and blending pop culture references within their act. 

“The overall show was good. My favorite, odd part is when they played The Office theme song in their own style and it was pretty awesome,” Revill said.

The Lopers Programming and Activities Council (LPAC) were in charge of organizing this concert. Members planned for AJR to perform as a new alternative from the usual  concerts in attempt to bring new crowds in. 

“There was a small change on ticket sells, because we sold less tickets than last year,” said Odwuar Quinonez, a senior elementary education major and one of the Events Programming Chair for LPAC. “I believe that there are a lot more country fans here in Nebraska, but LPAC as a whole is pretty happy with how many people bought tickets for a concert that’s a bit of a change.”

With a pop music headliner, the crowd was noticeably different than previous years. 

“This year, the concert felt different than previous years because a lot more teenagers attended the concert,” Quinonez said. “Plus, it seemed louder because the Talbott Brothers and AJR did such an amazing job with hyping up the crowd, and so it got pretty loud, which was amazing.”

LPAC spent four months to planning and organizing the concert after AJR was selected. Students who attended the concert shared about their experience and how they appreciated the work done this year.

“I really do appreciate that LPAC chose a band other than country because I know that has been a big complaint in the past years that the majority of students were tired of country artists,” said Trey Janicek, sophomore Agribusiness major from Bridgeport. “I think the band really enjoyed coming to UNK because the students and community who attended the event really got into the concert and were very lively this year.”

Regarding future artists for next year’s concert, members of LPAC said that they are uncertain of what’s to come.

“I would definitely go see AJR again in the future but I am not sure if LPAC will be getting another pop artist next or if they will be bringing a country artist in like a tradition,” Quinonez said. “It is all going to depend on the next year’s Event Programming Chairs to decide along with the future members of LPAC. Everything this year ran so smoothly thanks to all the volunteers and it was a great time.”