Nebraska ties run deep in Baker-MaGrath

Weston Baker-MaGrath opens the game with the tip-off.

Minnesota native easily accustomed to the good life

BY: Jack McLeay

The University of Nebraska-Kearney is home to many out of state student-athletes. 

The transition to a new state can be difficult for most, but for Weston Baker-MaGrath, the Sophomore forward from Minnesota, moving to Nebraska was nothing new.

Baker-MaGrath, whose parents both were UNK alumni, says that Nebraska has been in his life long before his commitment. 

“I have spent my entire life with a lot of family in Nebraska,” Baker-MaGrath said. “I was raised as a die-hard Husker Football fan, we went to a couple games a year at Memorial Stadium, and Nebraska has always kind of been my second home. I’m not surprised at all that I ended up here.”

Baker-MaGrath

Baker-MaGrath spoke about his first experience as a recruit on campus at UNK. 

“The first time I visited UNK, it felt like home,” Baker-MaGrath said. “I may be from Minnesota, but Nebraska holds a special place in my heart.” 

Baker-MaGrath, who is currently averaging around 6 points per game, is most notable for his ability to provide a spark on the court and maintain a presence in the post. 

“Weston as a player is relentless, and a defensive machine,” said Henry Penner, the freshman forward from Aurora. “Playing with him is a lot of fun because his positive attitude and energy are very contagious and you can’t help but feel more energized playing with him.”

Though it may not show up in the box score, Baker-MaGrath is one of the best in the conference at altering shots inside. 

“Weston’s ability to be a rim protector on defense helps make our team more successful,” Penner said. “Both in games when he is blocking opponents shots and in practice. If you are on the team opposite of, “Wes” in practice you have to be ready to adjust your shot if you take it to the hoop. He is a huge help.”

Penner goes on to talk about Baker-McGrath’s off the court presence.

“He is very approachable off the court,” Penner said. “When I committed last year, he was the first guy on the team who contacted me and is someone I got to know pretty well, very fast. He is selfless and always looking for ways to help others on the team anytime anyone needs it.”

The Lopers this year are currently 10-17 this season and have not had the success they had hoped for. 

That being said, Baker-MaGrath has learned valuable lessons from this year and is excited for the future of Loper basketball. 

“I have learned so much this season and we have improved a lot this season no matter what the record says,” said Baker-MaGrath. “I just love going out there and playing with these guys. It does not matter who we play, when we play, or what our record is, we go out there prepared to fight as hard as we possibly can and that’s all anybody could ever ask for.”