Burns finds optimism during tough season

UNK player driving the ball to the hoop

Lopers focus on attitude after blow out loss to NW Missouri State

By JACK MCLEAY

This season for the UNK Men’s basketball team has not been exactly what they had hoped for. After being defeated by No. 2 Northwest Missouri State 85-57 on Thursday, the Lopers fell to 6-12 on the season. 

Carter Burns, a senior from Iowa spoke words of encouragement for the future of the program as he enters his last 10 games wearing a UNK jersey.

UNK has brought on seven new faces to this year’s roster and have had to create a new identity as well as give wisdom to the youth throughout the season.

“We have grown so much as a team,” said Burns.“We have a young team and every game is a chance to learn. Win or lose, we have improved almost every game. We learn something new about ourselves every game.” 

What has stayed consistent throughout this year is the mentality of the players before they step onto the court. 

“In the locker room before the game we try to focus on what we need to do to win,” said Burns. “Everyone has a different role, but we want to come out with the mentality that everyone is playing for each other.”

Burns, who has seen significant playing time since his freshman year in 2015, has seen many different outcomes while playing for UNK. From NCAA tournament runs, to losing seasons, Burns has been able to stay consistent throughout his career. 

“I have learned how to handle the ups and the downs of a season,” said Burns. “That is the most impactful thing I want to leave for my teammates because it was the most important lesson I learned here in my four years.”

Regardless of the record, Burns is proud of his career at UNK and the teams he has played on. 

“I have played with some great players, and created even better friends,” Burns said. “I want to be able to leave this place satisfied that this team went out with a positive culture and their heads held high.”