Spooktacular brings students to URN

Men are raining down on Darrien Myers as part of her costume for Spooktacular. The senior assistant hall director enjoys partcipating in costume contests.

Campus CAN and Residence Life encourage students to join in Halloween fun

Alana Kellen

Resident life hosted Spooktacular, a Halloween party held in URN. Hosting the event in URN gives students the opportunity to come to that side of campus and be integrated with other parts of campus. 

Darien Myers, a senior communications disorder major from Sutherland has participated in costume contests at CTE and CTW in previous years. Myers is the assistant hall director, so she’s required to show up to events, but still enjoys them. 

“I dressed up as raining men,” Myers said. “I found it on Pinterest and I just love crafting and the song, so it was something fun for me.”

Each month is covered by a different resident hall and the month of October was put on by URS and URN. Resident assistants are responsible for choosing what events are put on throughout campus. Myers has addressed that brainstorming and planning the event was what helped make it a success.

The residence hall coordinator for North and South this year is Abbi Hanson. Hanson was impressed with the turnout this year and was surprised by the number of students that came from the towers, Antelope and Nester Hall since those are on the opposite side of campus. 

“I think it was a great and safe spooky way to celebrate the season,” Hanson said. “The decorations were really cool and there is a little something for everyone to do.”

For the costume contest, the judges consisted of an RA, a non-RA, and a residence hall coordinator. The judges were looking for students that stood out and seemed different than the rest of the costumes. One student stood out the most from the crowd and won the individual costume contest.

Chance McKimmey, an English writing major from Kennesaw, won the costume contest dressed as ‘The Joker’. 

“It’s one that I’ve done off and on throughout the years and I just really like the character,” McKimmey said. “He is really fun, and you can do anything with your personality to fit the character, so it makes it fun to get into character.”

With all campus events, there is improvement that can be seen throughout the event. Myers and Hanson both pointed out that there needed to be better advertising, marketing and communicating around campus for the event. 

“We were really focused in the week leading up to the event,” Hanson said. “We didn’t have all the decisions made so we weren’t able to communicate as quickly as we wanted to.”

Overall, the event coordinators were happy with the turnout of the Spooktacular Halloween party and so were the attendees. 

“It’s fun to talk to people and hang out with people I don’t normally hang out with,” McKimmey said. “It’s a fun, happy, and healthy atmosphere to be in.”