Hazing unconfirmed but investigation findings lead to probation

Sigma Phi Epsilon is located in Martin Hall on the East side of campus. Photo by Jenna Heinz / Antelope Staff

bridgera@lopers.unk.edu

UNK ended its investigation of Sigma Phi Epsilon following a lack of sufficient evidence to support hazing allegations.

Sigma Phi Epsilon was placed on a temporary suspension by the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct following a report of possible hazing in early October. A cease and desist of all membership operations and related activities was also included in the suspension.

Though there wasn’t enough evidence to support the hazing allegations, there were other concerns found that were violations of UNK’s code of conduct. Todd Gottula, senior director of communications and marketing at UNK, said the specifics of the violations will not be discussed.

The fraternity was placed on probation from Nov. 2, 2023 through May 30, 2025. 

“If the fraternity repeats the violations or violates other UNK policies or regulations during its probation, it may result in a more severe response from the University,” Gottula said.

Ben Ford, SigEp’s marketing and communications director, said in a statement that the fraternity’s headquarters and UNK investigated reports of policy violations earlier this fall.

“SigEp’s purpose is to develop balanced leaders in a safe environment that fosters leadership and respect,” Ford said. “In partnership with the University, we have determined a course of action to hold members accountable, assess chapter culture and provide education that supports a safe, valuable fraternity experience at UNK.”

Along with the probation, sanctions were put in place including “required coaching conversations, behavioral evaluations and education training with Sigma Phi Epsilon’s national headquarters.” A cultural assessment to identify areas of change will also be conducted. These sanctions are all enforced by the university.

Gottula said that Sigma Phi Epsilon “did not admit to any wrongdoings but acknowledged and accepted the outcomes in the resolution.”