Addicted to low prices: The untold story of being a thrifty girl

Courtesy+Photo
Courtesy Photo

smithc4@lopers.unk.edu

Thrifting has truly ruined me. It has changed the way I look at prices, clothing, trends and shopping in general. I just hadn’t realized it until now. 

When I was in high school, I was first introduced to indie and alternative styles. The type of style I know most of us remember from the late Tumblr and early Pinterest days. It was all about the high-waisted jeans, band tees, large glasses and combat boots. I longed to have the perfect alternative outfit. 

With this change of style, I started going to my local Goodwill regularly to find vintage-looking clothing. This then started an addiction and a hobby that I took very seriously. 

I took pride in what I found at the thrift store. 

I was finding out I could get clothing and the look I wanted for way less money than I could at a regular retail store. At retail stores, I wasn’t able to buy as much in quantity as I could at the thrift store. I could find old dad tees and 90s style Levi jeans, which was just what I wanted. I still want that. 

My closet became overloaded, but it was all justifiable because most of the items were under $5.

Even if the item wasn’t something I was totally sold on, I would still buy it because of how low the price was. I just hoped it would grow on me later. In the end, I came to realize that I had plenty of clothes, but I didn’t have a collection of pieces that I really enjoyed. I only enjoyed how cheap they were when I bought them. 

In reality, I wasn’t actually saving that much money, it just felt like it. 

Maturing and going through different preferences has made me realize that just because clothing is cheap, doesn’t mean I should buy it. It also doesn’t mean that I’ll wear it later on.  The goal now is to search for pieces that are timeless, a staple for my wardrobe and something I know I’ll wear for more than just a month. It is more than just following trends or perfecting the alternative outfit. Quality over quantity stands once again. 

Another untold struggle that comes from thrifting is that now I will go shopping and $20 will seem like too high for anything. When I go shopping at clothing stores, I find myself saying that I could find almost the exact same item second-hand at a thrift store. In my mind, it’s guaranteed I could get it cheaper somewhere else. Maybe I’ll look at the online thrift apps and websites specifically for a similar item. 

I am becoming a thrifting version of the coupon lady always looking for the best deals.

To this day I consider thrifting a hobby of mine. I enjoy the search and the excitement of finding the perfect pair of vintage jeans. It’s even better when they fit perfectly. I may always be the “thrifty girl,” but I have found that like everything else, it is good in moderation. My high school closet proves it.