The pros and cons of roommates: learning to live with others

bridgera@lopers.unk.edu

Leaving home and heading off to college can make anyone feel anxious. It’s important to find a support system to help you navigate the new environment of college. Support systems can be found all over campus, but one way that a lot of students find these relationships is with their roommates.

Almost all colleges require that you have a roommate your freshman year to help students get acclimated and involved on campus. Roommates can be beneficial for students because you could potentially already have a built-in friend. Creating and sharing memories and experiences with your roommate can help build and strengthen your relationship.

On the other hand, having a roommate can also not be the best scenario for everyone. In some instances, not all roommate assignments work out. This could range from conflicting schedules and incompatible personalities to not feeling comfortable. All of these are good enough reasons to find a new housing option.

I went to Chadron State College my freshman year, and I had a bad roommate situation. My roommate and I just didn’t go well together. We both had very different schedules. 

When rooming situations are not working out, there is nothing wrong with deciding to move to another room with a new roommate or by yourself.

Here are some steps to follow to resolve roommate problems peacefully.

Step 1: Bring the issue up with your roommate in a nice but straightforward way. Both parties need to listen to one another to find the best solution.

Step 2: If the conversation between the two roommates doesn’t resolve any issues, contact your resident assistant to mediate the discussion. Having a mediator can make the conversation less intense. Most colleges have you and your roommate or roommates fill out a roommate agreement to have documentation of how you plan to deal with situations such as this.

Step 3: If the issues still don’t resolve after the discussions, and it’s severe enough that you can’t wait until the end of the semester, then it may be time to find a different housing arrangement.

Step 4: Get in touch with your RA to see what your options are for different housing.

Sometimes you may be able to move out right away if rooms are available, other times you might have to wait until the next semester.

Step 5: If approved to move into a new room, you should let your roommate know what’s going on. Explain to your roommate that you are moving out and if you feel that it is necessary, then tell them why you have decided to leave.

Approaching conflict can be an intimidating task, but sometimes it’s necessary. You shouldn’t be afraid to voice your feelings to someone, especially if it invades your space. 

College is fun and exciting, but it can also be a stressful time too. The last thing you’ll want is to be worried and anxious over a situation that can easily be resolved with a conversation or two.