Celebrate friendships this Valentine’s Day, not just romance

Jill Smith with her friends. Photo by Jill Smith / Antelope Staff

Antelope Staff

“Have you found someone you’re interested in yet?”

“Are you going to ‘define the relationship’?”

“Who are you spending Valentine’s Day with?”

My entire family badgers me with some form of these questions every month, but as Valentine’s Day approaches, it feels like the quantity of these questions has amped up even more.

Since my break up with my long-term partner in 2021, I have been under the microscope of many relatives wondering when I would be settling down again. For me, I have something just as important to focus on this holiday.

My best friends.

I want to celebrate them this Valentine’s Day, and regardless of people’s relationship status, they should think about doing that for their friends too. 

It can be something as simple as sending a brief text to an old friend, or inviting them out for lunch to connect beyond the text bubbles. 

Invite them over for a tea party complete with a formal dress code. Even if ladies don’t have teacups, make a group trip to Goodwill to find an old set to personalize dinnerware and thrift.

If friend groups enjoy the party atmosphere, they can look forward to the weekend and come together in their favorite night-out attire and have a themed cocktail party to pregame. Another idea is making drinks and dressing them up based on the friend group’s future profession, popular holidays or the personalities of exes. If friend groups would prefer to start the party early, they can set up brunch for bottomless mimosas and spend time together.

Go to a live concert, make a candy bouquet, take a cooking class, do a ‘favorite thing’ gift swap, have a karaoke night or just be in the company of one another on the couch. Don’t let anyone convince you that Valentine’s Day isn’t meant for those who don’t have a significant other. We should choose to focus on those who have and currently support you, and celebrate that bond this Valentine’s Day, and everyday after.