The Antelope takes a bite out of Big Apple media convention

NYC Times Square/hotelsq.com

By Kylie Schwab
Antelope Staff

Staff members of the Antelope traveled to New York City for the College Media Association Spring National Media Convention. There, we learned about varying topics within journalism while also having the opportunity to explore the city during the evening.

I attended a lot of sessions related to photography. My minor is in photography, and I am always looking to gain more knowledge on how to better myself as a photojournalist. Within these sessions, I chatted with experienced photographers who specialize in music photography and public relations photography. Through networking with these individuals, I made connections with professionals that can help progress my career as a photojournalist.

Roy Wood Jr. was the most memorable keynote speaker. 

Wood joined Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show” in 2015. During his interview at the CMA convention, Wood shared his experiences working with a news organization while also following his passion of being a comedian.

After full days packed with knowledge, the Antelope staff members and I would take to the streets of NYC. Our nights usually consisted of some form of entertainment, delicious food and sight-seeing.

Our hotel that hosted the convention was located directly in Times Square, right on Broadway. We were constantly exposed to the bright lights and flashing advertisements that lit up the night.

The Broadway show that stood out to me was “Hadestown.” I couldn’t have loved it more.

It shows how far someone will go for the person that they love. The cast was small, and each member was vital to the story and communicating the different emotions through their song. My favorite character was Orpheus, a love-struck fool who ventured to the depths of Hell for his love Eurydice.

If you are looking to watch a tragic love story unfold, be sure to catch “Hadestown” on Broadway.

Each day I tried to have an authentic New York dish. Aside from strawberry milk tea boba, I also enjoyed authentic NYC pizza.

We had an authentic slice of pepperoni pizza a couple of blocks away from our hotel. This slice of pie was roughly the size of my head and very thin. Our adviser, Rob Breeding, instructed us to fold the pizza in half as we ate it, so we could fit in with the locals.

Avery Dutton, the Antelope Web Manager, and I stepped out into the square to indulge in boba milk tea one night.

We visited Gong Cha in Times Square. My go to boba order is Strawberry Milk Tea with Milk Foam on top.

My favorite stop was the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We did not go inside, though seeing Monet might have been worth it. Instead, I lived out my “Gossip Girl” fantasy and took photos on the steps of the Met, just like Serena and Blaire from the iconic show.

If I wasn’t for the Antelope, I would never have gained these experiences. I returned to the newsroom with all of these resources and knowledge on how to become a better journalist — not only for myself, but for my team as well.

View Comments (1)