Campus provides feedback for Calvin T. Ryan renovations

SHELBY BERGLUND / ANTELOPE STAFF Students, faculty and staff are contributing to the library renovation plans. The anticipated completion date for this project is July 2024.

berglunds@lopers.unk.edu

Meetings have started this week for students and staff to plan what kind of renovations will be done to the Calvin T. Ryan Library. The renovation is in the planning stages.

“The renovation is desperately needed and long overdue,” said Laurinda Weisse, Archivist and Digital Repository Manager for the library at UNK. “The current space doesn’t serve either students or staff well.”

The library was built in 1963 and has not had any work done to the building since. UNK recently got a differ maintenance bill passed through the legislature called LP384 where the funding for renovations will come from.

The first priority of the renovation will be the infrastructure, according to Greg Christen, Project Manager, Facilities Planning and Capital Programs at UNK. 

There will be improvements to the electrical, heating and air system in the building. To do that there will be some demolition to the walls and ceilings throughout the building.

The plans for demolition will also help open some of the space between the Mitchell Center and library. 

“It is unknown how much of the Mitchell Center will be renovated,” Christen said. “However, the meetings throughout this week will help determine a way to meet the needs of the library and Mitchell Center in using the square footage to its maximum potential.”

Christen is looking to build this space to its greatest potential.

“I’m hopeful that we get input from all areas of campus in trying to find the balance of what’s going to be beneficial for everyone and how we can really make this an active space on campus,” Christen said. “And really make sure people are getting the best experience they can within the building we are given.”

Students will still have access to resources in the library throughout this project.

“Regardless of what the renovation ends up being, this is going to have a huge impact on the building and those that use it,” Christen said. “It’s going to make for a better environment.”

No physical construction will be done to the building until this Fall as plans for this project are still in the works. The entire project is anticipated to be complete by July 2024.