UNK celebrates LGBT History Month with annual Drag Show event

schwabk2@lopers.unk.edu

Talented drag queens from across the country performed Thursday evening at UNK for the fifth year in a row. The community, students and staff were entertained by a night of singing and dancing.

Luis Olivas, Office of Diversity and Inclusion assistant director, looks forward to bringing this event to campus every year.

“October is LGBTQIA+ History Month, so we do this in celebration,” Olivas said. “This is neat because not everybody in central Nebraska has experienced a drag show before. It’s a very good introduction to diversity.”

Showcasing these performers is something that the ODI staff prides themselves on.

“With events like these, we’re just trying to make sure that students feel seen,” Olivas said. “For folks of the LGBTQIA+ community, this is a visual representation that we understand and appreciate their culture.”

This year’s lineup is better than ever.

Kennedy Davenport, a finalist on “Rupaul’s Drag Race” and “All Star Drag Race,” as well as Michael Valentine, the 2021 All American Gent are performing. Local talent as well as a queen from the Denver drag scene took to the stage.

Anticipation was built for the show through the use of social media advertisements as well as flyers posted around campus.

At the beginning of the night, over 300 UNK students awaited the performances in the Ponderosa Room.

The night was filled with exquisite outfits, singing and plenty of dancing.

“I really liked how hype it was,” said Cristina Manning, a freshman biology major. “Everyone was able to come to this space and relate to one another. We just became united.”

Togetherness was something that was touched on throughout the event.

“Drag isn’t about us being fabulous,” said Matthew Steele, a performer at the event. “It’s about putting the ‘unity’ back in community. Showing compassion, love, and humanity back to one another is what’s important.”

The sense of community at this event stood out to students.

“Seeing no matter people’s sexual orientation or gender identity, they all came tonight,” said Isaiah Mahone, a sophomore dental health major. “There were even people of the Kearney community here. It’s cool that an event like this could bring us all together.”