UNK raises funds in first virtual giving day

paulseno2@lopers.unk.edu

UNK held its first One Day for UNK: 24 Hours of Giving event that started at noon last Thursday. 

One Day for UNK was a day set aside to raise money for student scholarships, colleges and programs, student organizations, athletics and other important areas. 

“UNK is fortunate to enjoy tremendous loyalty and pride among its alumni and friends,” said UNK Chancellor Doug Kristensen in a UNK News article. “One Day for UNK is an opportunity for everyone to celebrate this by giving back to an institution that has been important to so many.”

The event was held virtually at givingday.unk.edu. During the 24-hour period, interested parties could donate and follow the leaderboard. The website visitors could also check out the different challenges that included “Throw Your Lopers Selfie Challenge”, “Lil’ Loper Challenge” and others. 

The event was set up by Mark Ellis, dean of Graduate Studies, Gilbert Hinga, dean of the Division of Student Affairs, Tim Jares, dean of the College of Business and Technology, Mark Reid, dean of the College of Education, Ryan Teten, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and Janet Wilke, dean of the Calvin T. Ryan Library. 

Jares mentioned the importance of the event and how it wasn’t all about the monetary donations, but it was also about bringing awareness to campus activities to current UNK students and alumni. 

“Being an alumni of UNK, I want to be able to aid in giving current and future UNK students the same opportunities I had during my under-graduate experience,” said Savannah Weverka, a UNK alumni member. 

Donors could give to organizations on campus, and the website’s leaderboard was live for viewers to see. 

In hopes of reaching 515 or more “gifts,” UNK smashed that goal after receiving 650 gifts within hours of the first day and a total of approximately $89,000 raised. By the end of the event, however, organizations raised a total of $237,625.

Organizations who raised the most included Loper Athletics with a total of $66,871, followed by the College of Arts and Sciences with $46,566 and the College of Business & Technology with $33,824. 

“Speaking from an athlete that is on a team that has more teammates than the average team here on campus, fundraisers like these are extremely beneficial to us,” said Cydnee Huxtable, a UNK track athlete. “Being such a big squad, money is definitely tight as it is split in so many different ways, so we are very appreciative of every little bit we can get.”