Always and Forever, Lara Jean – Third ‘To All the Boys’ film completes series

SARAH SHATZ / NETFLIX Lara Jean and her friend travel to New York in the final film.

lofshulthhj@lopers.unk.edu

Will they or won’t they? The epic love story that captivated the world comes to an end in “To All the Boys: Always and Forever.”

The movie focuses on the story of Lara Jean (Lana Condor) and the decisions that will ultimately shape her future. What starts as a fake romance between Lara and Peter (Noah Centineo) blossoms into a loving relationship. The couple does everything together and they can’t imagine ever being apart.

That is, until colleges begin sending out acceptance letters. Now, Lara must choose between her love and the future she wants for herself.

The actors involved in this movie played beautifully off each other. The chemistry between the cast was palpable and helped expand the movie’s sense of realism. However, Condor and Centineo together make this movie into a love story. The pair are able to effortlessly play off each other and create a realistic relationship between the characters while maintaining the innocence of teenage love.

This movie deserves great praise for portraying realistic relationships between all characters. The family isn’t perfect — the siblings fight, as do the cousins — however, in the end they love each other and find peace in their imperfections. I also highly enjoyed the portrayal of a healthy romantic relationship between Lara Jean and Peter, a characteristic not shown in the media as it should be. The couple supports each other, even when times get tough, and are able to communicate well throughout the movie.

A few overused clichés make their way into the film, such as a miscommunication that could be solved easily, but isn’t. It’s a bit annoying, even frustrating, to see these used so often for the audience viewing the film. However, viewing the movie holistically, I think these can be forgiven.

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t normally enjoy romcoms, but this one has a special hold on me. It’s entertaining while still prompting questions from the audience. How much would I give up for love? What comes first, myself or my partner? How much of the future can and should be determined by relationship status? And in the end, there might be a twist ending.

Overall, I give this movie 4 Lopes out of 5. I enjoyed watching the characters grow up and make it through life. I recommend this for anyone looking for something to brighten their day.