Why we celebrate Women’s History Month

Archive Photo

MARIANA CHAVEZ

Every March comes along and we celebrate National Women’s History Month to honor the
contributions in women have made in America History. According to the National Women’s History
Alliance in March 1987 the whole month of March was declared National Women’s History Month.
March 8th also happens to be International Women’s Day where we also recognize all women’s
achievements worldwide.
Although women are historical all year round in March we do not simply honor our
accomplishments but celebrate our equalities and opportunities as women. So how can we
celebrate women on campus? The Women’s Center on campus held a special art exhibit in the
Fine Arts Building. The event was hosted to celebrate human diversity where art pieces from local
artists were featured, live paintings and snacks were offered. The exhibit was a few days long event
that started on March 9th throughout the 12th from 8 am to 9 pm and ended the 13this with its
final exhibit being on the 13th from 3 pm to 6 pm.
It is important to always support women so how can we do it all year round? First, know why we
celebrate and the history or “herstory” behind the reason, which is to honor the contributions
women have made in America History. Understanding the issues we still face as women to this day
is also very important. Support a woman-owned business, march and vote with us whether it’s for
you sisters, mother, girlfriends, etc. rights. Volunteer at your local women’s center or donate to your
favorite organization that supports women. There are 31 one days in March so we have 31
opportunities to help celebrate this month because after all Women’s History Month is human
history and together we can help close gender gaps and grow stronger as a community, county
and world.