The Invisible Man takes viewers by surprise

The Invisible Man

ALEXANDER TETEN
tetensa@lopers.unk.edu

With cheap budgets and safe concepts, Jason Blum can gain a decent profit by helping produce the film with Blumhouse. The recently -eleased “The Invisible Man” is a rare horror gem, especially for Blumhouse standards.

While films like “Happy Death Day 2” and “Insidious 2” are safe, predictable jumpscare-fueled horror films, “The Invisible Man” focuses more on the suspense side of a horror film. 

There are jumpscares in the film, but most of them are diagetic, rarely using stinger sound effects to force the viewer to jump. One of the most important aspects of any horror film is the terror the audience is supposed to feel.

Taking the name from the original gothic horror story, “The Invisible Man” is not as supernatural as the viewer would expect. The film is much more grounded in reality, which, can be more terrifying than a big, scary monster. 

There is a monster in the film, but in the form of an abusive ex. “The Invisible Man” deals with several heavy themes, including spousal abuse, emotional manipulation and much darker themes that may be upsetting.

While keeping with the Blumhouse tradition of low-budget, high-payout, “The Invisible Man” only has a budget of $7 million, yet has made more than eight times that. 

The special effects in the film vary in quality, but do not distract the viewer too much from the film. The acting can sometimes fall flat in places, but in others, it can help sell the scene. The actors in the film are very competent and have proven they can do a good job acting This includes Oliver Jackson-Cohen, star in the Netflix TV show “The Haunting of Hill House.” Thematerial they are given can leave more to be desired.

One aspect of the film that really stood out was the cinematography. Modern horror films are not usually known for their use of camerawork, but “The Invisible Man” is shot very well. There are several single-takes in the film that last for a good few minutes. While doing a single shot is not always impressive, especially with the stress of having to repeat the shot over and over, “The Invisible Man” does a good job of keeping the shot while also making sure tht other aspects aren’t hurt. The transitions and choice of shots and camera movement make the film stand out among recently released horror films.

From the acting and cinematography to the real-world themes and disturbing situations, the film is a thrilling remake of a gothic horror classic. The film re-invents the subject it was based on. Overall, “The Invisible Man” is a stand-out horror film worth seeing for horror and suspense fans alike. A well-earned 7.5/10 for this retelling of a horror classic.