The Antelope sets sights on Washington, D.C.

antelope issue five newspapers

CHASE HARRISON
harrisonce@lopers.unk.edu 

On Halloween day, Antelope editors will be heading to Washington, D.C. for the National College Media Convention. 

Upon arrival, we will have the opportunity to learn from some of the best in journalism and multimedia.

This four-day convention denotes significant possibilities the growth and expansion of Antelope news. 

We will come with current print and web examples in hand and be able to share our work with other college media platforms, as well as discover theirs – we view this as a great opportunity to see where we lie as a news medium in comparison to others.

The convention will occur between Oct. 31 and  Nov. 3 at the Grand Hyatt, just five city blocks from the White House and Washington Mall. 

Despite being an ideal location for sight seeing, eyes and ears will be drawn in by the convention. With over 275 different breakout sessions and keynote speakers, there will be a substantial amount of material from which to gain understanding, be it from the position of a student journalist or a professional. 

We feel that missing out on more sessions than time will already restrict would truly be a waste. We expect that many others will have the same thought in mind, and we look forward to being surrounded by others who are passionate and driven about these same concepts. 

It is a chance to break into new ideas and realms of media and witness firsthand how our generation may surely uphold the  evolution of journalism.

There will be individuals at the convention we have been excited to hear from for a while now.

Some of the leading keynote speakers will be Marty Baron, executive editor of The Washington Post, Nina Totenberg, legal-affairs correspondent for NPR, and Abby Phillip, a White House correspondent for CNN. 

These speakers will be some of the main attractions at the convention.

To add a competitive angle and tangible system of reward to the mix, awards will also be given at the convention: Associated Collegiate Press will present the Pacemaker awards and the College Media Association will present the Pinnacle awards. 

These awards will recognize outstanding college media platforms along with their respective students and staff. Perhaps, this will include some of our own.