Student government fills cabinet positions

The Antelope Newspaper

Haley Pierce
pierceha@lopers.unk.edu

Student government has filled four cabinet positions since the start of the academic year. Seven academic college seats and two freshmen senator positions remain to be filled.

Ellery Butterfield was named Secretary of the Senate, Reid Bednar was tabbed Chief of Staff, Gustavo Valencia was selected for Secretary of Organizations and Affairs, and Leslie Braun was named Secretary of Community Relations at the Sept. 3 meeting of the senate.

With cabinet positions filled, the senate’s attention  turns to filling open seats for college senators. After the spring 2018 election, two openings remained for the College of Education, and one seat remained for the College of Arts and Sciences. 

Student government adviser Tim Danube said the senate has five applications to fill these vacancies. The Selections and Constitutional Review committee will be reviewing the applications and interviewing candidates for the next couple of weeks. 

The senate is also seeking applicants for one deciding student position.

The greater challenge for student government will be to fill the position for a graduate student, “which is always difficult,” Danube said.

Each fall, student government also fills two freshmen senator positions during freshmen elections.

First year students planning to run should file for office by Oct. 1. Applications are available in the Student Engagement office in the student union.

However, students can begin campaigning as early as Sept. 27. Freshmen Elections are governed by specific guidelines, and any student running for office should review the guidelines before beginning to campaign. 

“The big thing is following any correct procedure,” Danube said.

Danube encourages students considering a campaign to do so.

“Run just to be able to be involved in campus life and to be able to represent your fellow students,” he said.

Regardless of whether they are running for office, first year students are encouraged to vote in elections. Voting will take place Oct. 9 and Oct. 10.